Stand for kiln

Started by RLBrown, September 27, 2014, 08:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBrown

Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to glass fusing but after nearly a year of hiring a kiln, I've decided to buy my own. :)

I'm looking at the Skutt Firebox 14.

I was wondering what sort of 'thing' I could put it on to keep it off the floor.
I guess it would have to be sturdy as the thing ways 50kg.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Rachael

oliver90owner

Might give you some idea, from the net.

http://www.delphiglass.com/glass-kilns-accessories/skutt-kilns/skutt-firebox-14-rolling-stand

http://glass-suppliers.com/glass-process-1/process-1-0026.html

How good is your welding?  Maybe use a local steel fabricator?

If you can sit on it safely, it is likely strong enough to support 50kg - only eight stone in old units.

RAB

Zeldazog

Doesn't the Firebox 14 come with it's own stand?  Warm Glass list it as being with one, and show it in the photo.  Looks like the Hot start one, stands about 10/12 inches off high

RLBrown

Hi

It comes with little legs but I was looking for something a bit higher.

I've actually decided to go with the kiln care hobby fuse as it seems like a better option. I don't think I can justify the £300 for the stand. Some other advice I've been given is to use breeze blocks as they are sturdy and cheap.

flame n fuse

you'll need to make sure that it is level on the blocks. (our kiln is on a stand on an uneven floor in the garage and we have to put wedges under one end). But the stand has wheels which is handy.

Moira HFG

I made a sturdy but economical stand with some second-hand Dexion (angle iron with holes for bolts) I found on Gumtree. Total cost about £20.

Always worth checking Gumtree, Preloved and ebay; it's amazing how often someone is getting rid of the very thing you need.

If no luck, breeze blocks sound like a good alternative, providing the structure you make is stable.

bearyboo

I made a stand for my kiln out of some steel that's welded together. It sots about 3ft off the floor.

It might be worth trying a fabricators/welders.

Mine is just a steel square with four legs welded to it.

Danielle x

Zeldazog

Quote from: RLBrown on September 29, 2014, 06:32:54 AM

I've actually decided to go with the kiln care hobby fuse as it seems like a better option. I don't think I can justify the £300 for the stand. Some other advice I've been given is to use breeze blocks as they are sturdy and cheap.

Copied from Warm Glass

Hobbyfuser - £1,384.74 Inc VAT (£1,153.95 Ex VAT)
Hobbyfuser with Shelf - £1,420.74 Inc VAT (£1,183.95 Ex VAT)
Hobbyfuser with Shelf and Stand - £1,600.74 Inc VAT (£1,333.95 Ex VAT)
Hobbyfuser with Stand - £1,564.74 Inc VAT (£1,303.95 Ex VAT)

£1,384 vs £1,564 - price difference is £180 - and for that you get a sturdy stand, which brings the kiln up to working height, that has an large extra shelf for storage underneath, and a place to slot the stand that the controller sits on.  Also, as you put it together, the design is such that it self-levels before you tighten all the bolts up - important if you have a studio floor as bad as mine!

Admittedly not cheap, but it's not £300.  That said, you probably could get a stand made cheaper at a fabricators

RLBrown

Hi yes I did realise my calculations were wrong after the post.

I've ordered the kiln without a stand as I wasn't sure how high I'd want it.

Building something with give my husband something to do to  :-\ :D

jeannette

Yep, gave mine something to do. :D