Cab Mandrels

Started by LampyLou, September 04, 2014, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LampyLou

I've had a nice long break over the summer (Enforced due to Kids) and and really looking forward to getting back to my torch.  I thought I would treat myself and try making some cabs, I've never tried them before.  What size cab mandrel is best?  I'm looking at the Mango ones and I'm going to need more than one, I only get to torch twice week if I'm lucky and when you try something new you need to be able to do a few!

Julia

MangoBeads

Hello :)

I would suggest that the 21mm is a great starting point - the 14.5 is great for little tiny cabs but you will quickly fill it and theres not much surface area to do anything with ! Much easier to learn them on a bigger canvas :)

I also have a Cab and popper tutorial that might help and we also did a useful this little video on mandrel preparation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlXFYIKatU

let me know if I can help anymore :)

Quirky Bird

I started making cabs with the 14.5mm cab mandrel from Manda at Mango beads, then moved onto the larger 21mm size. They're a lovely quality and the size is big enough to allow you to do some interesting decoration. Also, there's a lot you can do with the end result - poppers etc. Manda's 'Practical Guide to Cabs and Poppers' tutorial was also really helpful, with lots of useful tips.

Personally (and this may just be me), I find that it's difficult to keep the glass on the tiny cab mandrels.

I totally agree about needing more than 1 - I started with 3 and now have around a dozen of this size. They're addictive!

Go for it - I'm sure you'll have fun  :)
A clean house is the sign of a broken oxycon.

LampyLou

Thank you both!

I had already got one 14mm and one 21mm, plus the tutorial in my basket when I posted Manda, but then I got all indecisive, so I'll just update it and then hopefully next week I can play!

Many thanks

Julia

Lynnybobs

Plus with Manda's mandrels you can also add a nut to make the interchangable type cabs for rings and pendants with the screw fitting.
Lynnybobs
----x----

LampyLou

My order has arrived, but now I have to wait until  Friday to have a go!!!  Soo frustrating.

Manda, thank you for the you tube link, which I've only just had a chance to watch.  What to do with the nuts was the one bit I was stuck on, and now I'm all ready.

Julia x

MangoBeads

yipee ! have fun - Friday will soon be here !