can someone check this for me please?

Started by Gin.Gina, September 03, 2014, 05:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gin.Gina

Ok, so, I've read every thread I can on here, and other forums, and have finally worked out what I need...(or think I need!) to get my HH connected to a bulk supply. I'm just about ready to order but would like someone to have a look at what I'm planning on buying first. I want to get this right first time so I can get going again ASAP!

Here goes: (in order from the gas bottle)

regulator-(4 bar propane reg) http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/LPG_Reca_912_0.5-4_Bar_High_Pressure_Propane_Gas_Regulator.html#aHA115

flashback arrestor - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Gas-Flashback-Arrestor-/220417700383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3351eb321f

small piece of hose - http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/6.3mm_LPG_High_Pressure_Gas_Hose.html#aHA1326

quick connects - http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/8mm_Quick_Release_Gas_Hose_Coupling.html#aHA035H

Longer length of hose that will go through my window or hopefully the wall/window frame - (as hose above)

rothenberger adaptor - http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Rothenberger_Super_Fire_Blow_Torch_Hose_Adaptor.html#a3_2e5653

How does the flashback connect to the hose? any special fittings I need to buy? It looks like it screws on  ???

How do the quick release parts connect to the hose? lemon crimp thingies?

I'm planning on using a little lemon clip to crimp the HH adaptor onto the end of the hose too, correct?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

cbeadies

I bought my setup already connected together by Tuffnells, but just had a look and that seems to be the order in which the parts go together. And my  quick release is connected with lemon clips.

Hopefully someone a bit more expert will be along in a moment!

If in doubt it may be worth taking the hose, etc along to your local gas centre to get it checked over just to be sure.

:)

Gin.Gina

thank you! Yep, I've found my local welding shop and if I don't feel very confident when I've put it all together then I'll pop down there :)

I think I'm stressing about getting it right far too much! I get a bit neurotic about things at times, especially if it's something new to me. I can't stand the thought of it being delivered and not being to torch straight away, I'd be so disappointed!

Moira HFG

I think you need to check the list for compatibility.

Yes, the flashback arrestor screws into the regulator - but only if the threads are compatible! It might be a good idea to ring Hamilton before buying to check. The nozzle will need to fit the other side of the arrestor too, to go onto the hose.

The quick release connector on your list is for 8mm hose, not 6.3mm.

What I did was to buy the parts but not the hose or clips, then took it to my local propane supplier for assembly. This saves the expense of posting hose (heavy!), and they'll pressure test it for you too so you can be confident it doesn't leak. And saves you buying the tool to put lemon clips on with!

You will end up with a system much cheaper than a ready assembled one, though, so worth a bit of faffing about!

Gin.Gina

That's one of the things I'm finding so hard about this, the different screw/post/left hand/right hand ends that everything has!

I read a post on here where someone had used 6mm hose with an 8mm quick connect successfully....just a little harder to get it on I think! I've swapped the hose for 8.3mm anyway (same price, why not :) )

I've added this bit to the list as well,  http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Fulham_Gas_Hose_Nozzle_x_3_8__BSP_Female.html#aHA307

Moira, is this the bit you mean when you say " The nozzle will need to fit the other side of the arrestor too, to go onto the hose" ?

Thank you both for your help!

Moira HFG

Sort of...but that connector has a 3/8 BSP female end which will only fit to a 3/8 BSP male connection; whereas your regulator (if you take the nozzle off) has an unknown female end.

If you are lucky, the threads on the flashback arrester will be the same as the ones on that screw-in nozzle already in the regulator, and you'll be able to collect the three in line. But if not...not! If you ring the suppliers to check, you will get the right thing first time. I'm sure you'll find them helpful.

(Sorry I can't remember what I ordered, but I remember plodding through all the connections like this!)

spexy

I just did this a while ago. The Rothenberger has a fitting for 6mm hose not 8mm so if you go with the 8mm you will need an adapter.

I went with the 6mm and bought a 6mm fitting regulator. I did buy a flashback arrester but my plumbing/heating store said I didn't need one.

Gin.Gina

I think I see what you mean Moira. Hmmm, Spexy, I don't want to be buying unnecessary bits! I did think that the spigot on the rothenberger looked a little too skinny for an 8mm hose..... I'm going to ring hamiltons today, hope they don't laugh at me! I'll post my findings here in the hope of saving someone else from this headache!

Gin.Gina

uuugh, well, that was......frustrating. Apparently because I need a 4 bar regulator, I need 4.8 mm hose. He said the quick connects I was looking at won't fit, or be up to the job. The ones I need are nearly £30 instead of the £5.50 i was originally going to spend!

So I've come up with a new plan. I've bought a GTT Cricket instead hahaha. I wasn't going to keep the HH for much longer anyway and thought I might as well start as I mean to go on. back to the drawing board I go! 

Pauline

sounds the perfect and most sensible decision to me

Moira HFG

I agree! It will save you upgrading twice.  :)

Gin.Gina

I am very pleased with myself ladies! happy dances breaking out all day  ;D This has thrown up a few new questions though. GTT say the barbs on the cricket need 6.3mm hose...which means I still have the same problem with the quick release connectors not being suitable. Is it OK to leave the hose permanently attached between torch and tank? I would, of course, turn off the tank and bleed the line every time I'd finished.

I'm also still confused about the regulator, I was told that the one I linked to above wasn't suitable for 6.3mm hose either! surely a high pressure reg can be used with high pressure hose?

Sorry for bombarding you with what may be daft questions, I've been reading forums and googling for 4 days straight now (not kidding either!) and I'm still at a loss  :-\

Pauline

I can't advise I'm afraid as I took the easy way and bought the complete hose units with the torch

Calico Cat

I took the easy way as well and bought the "kit" from Martin.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

ajda

Quote from: Gin.Gina on September 04, 2014, 11:37:39 PM
Is it OK to leave the hose permanently attached between torch and tank? I would, of course, turn off the tank and bleed the line every time I'd finished.
I'm also still confused about the regulator, I was told that the one I linked to above wasn't suitable for 6.3mm hose either! surely a high pressure reg can be used with high pressure hose?
I've always had torches permanently attached, never bothered with quick release connectors. Regarding hose and connections, why not take torch and reg together into a welding shop and ask? I'm sure you'd find someone happy to advise and probably connect it all up for you. It would be much easier hands-on than trying to figure it out via messages here. Sweet little torch the Cricket - I'm sure you'll love working with it once you do get set up!
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com