Approx fusing times....

Started by Opalshards, September 02, 2014, 06:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opalshards

OK . Hubby is panicking keeps ::)   asking me to look at the kiln (as if I know what I am looking for) Lil, He seems to think it is taking too long. I put another project in to cook using the new guide I got from Warm Glass. And it was a four stage programme for a full fuse.
Now I am not stupid, even I know times will differ. And Rome wasn't etc.
In fact it may be done now. About how many hours does it take on average. Not precise Just to keep his blood pressure down.  ???   ??? 

Moira HFG

Sorry, but there really is no 'average'!

I can give you a range - my small, Pate de Verre fuses (basically a tack fuse) take 5 or 6 hours.
Kiln cast sculpture pieces might take around 4 days.
Just keep an eye on the temperature on the controller to check all is going as it should. Opening the door too often isn't a great idea.

Most of that time is cooling down, if that makes him any happier, which is why fusing costs a lot less than you expect.
Just keep an eye on the temperature on the controller to check all is going as it should. Opening the door too often isn't a great idea.

Isn't there any football on for him to watch?  ;)

Opalshards

:). Thank you Moira. I have tried something new with the link you gave me to Warm glass. And is was a 4 stage full fuse. I asked him if he was worried about the cost of electric, he said no.
He suggested we open the kiln to let it cool down, well I went mad. I said that's all I need cracks all over the place. Lol. Told him to get back in his workshop and carry on carving. MEN. ???   ???

marklaird

Using the 'standard' full fuse program from Warm Glass in my SC2 with a process temp of 770 degrees takes about 7 hours 20 minutes if that is of help.

That's just the time the programme runs for but at that point the kiln is at 370 degrees so it takes a further 2-3 hours to cool down enough to actually remove the fired glass.

Don't be tempted to take things out early, or to open the door to speed the cooling as you will just end up with cracked glass.

As Moira said it will depend on lots of factors, such as how fast your kiln cools down in the cooling phase.

Hope that helps.

Mark