bead door modification

Started by Pauline, September 01, 2014, 10:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline

did this a while ago but it just came up on face book so thought I would put it here for info.
I was getting burnt fingers using my SC3 bead door so tried various insulating materials, but the most effective was sugru

IMG_0483 by seally beads, on Flickr

a rubber that you mould and apply and it sets

JanieD

Thanks for this Pauline, I use a welding gauntlet at the moment!
They sell Sugru on Amazon and I was looking at it the other day thinking of all the things (bodges in my case) I could do with it - now I feel perfectly justified in buying a shedload.

Jane

myrica

Great way to fix your kiln handle!

I've used sugru to fix my wellies;  just in case you need to find another use for it.

DementedMagpie

Sugru's great stuff. It makes an appearance in my lampwork set-up too - it's stuck on the arms of my old glasses (which, unlike the new ones, fit under the diddys) to make them fit.
However, don't buy shedloads unless you have at least some ideas for using it within a year or so: the shelf life's not brilliant.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

JanieD

No, I'd probably just buy a pack for now, but have read that if you keep it in the fridge it increases the shelf life to 18 months!

Jane

DementedMagpie

Yeah, what's left of mine's been in the fridge for about 18 months now, and it's been going a bit crusty round the edges for the last 6. Having said that, my fridge is fairly rubbish, so I can easily believe that it lasts for 18 months in a decent fridge.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

SallyR

What a great idea, Pauline - him indoors bought a pack of Sugru for something the other day and we didn't know what to do with what's left.  Off to retrieve it from the fridge ...  :)
Sally
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want ...

Moira HFG

Ooh, I hadn't heard of this! Thanks for posting.

Blue Box Studio

I'd not heard of it either until Pauline mentioned it :)  Have discovered you can get single packs on Ebay - which might work out cheaper if you only want one pack and not 3 or 8.

I keep burning my hand on my had door handle and have some weird thing that makes me slow to heal at the moment so this will be almost a life saver for me, thank you Pauline :)  Hoping I can make as good a job as you have!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

flame n fuse

I use a wine bottle cork (real cork, not plastic), pushed onto the handle. works perfectly!

Pauline

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on September 02, 2014, 08:25:45 PM
thank you Pauline :)  Hoping I can make as good a job as you have!

I have to confess it was Ann (Qwirky glass) who actually did it, as usual I procrastinated (my idea tho')

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: flame n fuse on September 02, 2014, 09:39:56 PM
I use a wine bottle cork (real cork, not plastic), pushed onto the handle. works perfectly!

That was my next trick, only most of the wine we buy seems to come with a screw cap and when I see a cork I totally forget why I wanted one and throw it away with the empty bottle.  Will try this stuff first and if I make a 'design error' will move back to trying a cork.  Kitchen roll and foil just isn't enough.
Sue

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on September 02, 2014, 11:40:36 PM
and throw it away with the empty bottle. 

You mean you don't smash it up to make beads or sea glass   ;D  ;D  ;D

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on September 03, 2014, 06:33:11 AM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on September 02, 2014, 11:40:36 PM
and throw it away with the empty bottle. 

You mean you don't smash it up to make beads or sea glass   ;D  ;D  ;D

Nope - only very occasionally, I can't keep the glass warm enough not to spit at me as well as use the kiln at the same time.  And sea glass takes upwards of 50 years - not sure I will care about sea glass when I am 108!
Sue

mizgeorge

That's great Pauline - and very neat!

I think half our house is held together by sugru - it's also fantastic for making things like custom handles for uncomfortable tools and all sorts of holding devices.