what kind of cord/threads for knots

Started by Rascal, September 01, 2014, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

Hi, my friend has asked me to do a plain necklace but rather than metal links she would like a knot between each bead. I've had a look for different threads and was thinking 2mm but not sure whether I need cotton, rattail or satin cord (which may be the same as rattail but different sites call it different things)

Also how would you do the ends, she has asked for a simple knot tied to a jump ring (attached to a toggle style clasp), but I'm not sure whether that would be secure enough and whether I should use more of a crimp end.

What would you lovely people recommend?

Thanks. Karen

cbeadies

I have made several knotted necklaces using 1mm waxed cotton cord in single or double thickness depending on the size of the bead holes.
This one was knotted on a single cord and then the other colour cords were tied around the end knot. I have covered this end knot with a 'pony' bead but it's not really necessary to do so. I like these crimp ends that pinch in the middle as they look neater than the fold over ones I think. ( Or maybe I'm just not great at getting them to fold over neatly!)

This was knotted on two strands of 1mm cord. I added more cord at the end knots so that I had the four strands needed to macrame the rest of the necklace.

It can be a bit fiddly getting the knots correctly positioned, usually I use something like a darning needle to help slide the knots up close to each bead before adding the next bead. I guess 2mm cord would work very nicely too if the bead holes are large enough.

:)

Pat from Canvey

I do like the colours you've used in that second necklace.

Glyn Burton

To attach the cord to a jump ring use a grinner knot. Its widely used by fishermen and is very strong and very secure its easy to tie but difficult to describe, try and find an angler to show you.

Pat from Canvey

Rascal

Those necklaces are really pretty.

Thanks for all the advice, never thought of checking things like fishing to see what knots they use, the video is really clear thanks for finding the link for me Pat.