Scorpion! (of the arachnid variety)

Started by Kalorlo, September 01, 2014, 10:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalorlo

This is what I made this weekend...

It only just fit through my BeadCube's door slot  ;D

I used the Asian black for this, which was really nice to work with. It didn't seem to need too much heat, I didn't have my flame turned all the way up, and there was only a teeny bit of greying on the underside of the body, which was where I was directing the flame in between adding leg segments, just for insurance heat. I was working on this for two hours, so that's pretty good!

The only other thing I've done in solid black was an octopus in GA eclipse at Jennifer Umphress' class, and that did grey in places on a shorter working time and bottled oxy.

I have a proper pair of Phillips green ACE shade 3 now - I wouldn't have done something in solid black just using diddys because it gets so much brighter than clear, whereas jellyfish are mostly clear and just a tiny bit of colour so were ok. Was slightly worried that they would be too dark for using the rest of the time, but actually they're fine. (Green ACE includes the filter against sodium flare, so I don't need to balance welders' shades on top of diddys on top of my glasses).

garishglobes

Very nice!  :)

The Asian colours are lovely to work with, aren't they?

ajda

Wow - you must be pleased with that!
I used to do the glasses/didys/welding shade balancing act too - now use a pair of clip-on Wale shades over my normal reading glasses... much better!
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Steampunkglass

Kalorlo

Thank you!

I thought about clip-ons, but wasn't at all sure they'd fit on my glasses frame (and the shipping quote from Wale was extortionate when I asked about their own-brand fitovers, so I just got the Phillips basic frame style elsewhere because I know I can wear those over my glasses).

ajda

Quote from: Kalorlo on September 01, 2014, 12:56:30 PMthe shipping quote from Wale was extortionate
Yes - for me too. I waited till I had a friend visiting from Canada - she in turn has friend with an address just over the border in the US, so I got them sent there and she brought them over here for me.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Moira HFG

I love that!
Is it very bad to find it cute?

Beansprout

I haven't tried any of the Asian colour yet, I might have a go next time I'm ordering from ABR :D

Kalorlo

Check the customs - it's Effetre-priced from Tuffnell's so you may as well use your US shipping charges on something else  ;D