Where do you get your stained/fusing glass?

Started by beadammed, August 30, 2014, 08:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadammed

Hi everyone,
I'm considering a business that includes selling glass for fusing & stained glass work.  I don't know if this would be profitable.  Where do you guys buy your glass?  Do you shop online or go to a local(ish) supplier?  Also how is the glass packaged & does it come by Royal Mail?
Geraldine
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

marklaird

Hi Geraldine,
I get my glass either from Warm Glass or Glass Studio Supplies. They both have things that they are really good for and both offer free shipping over £45. WG use DPD for shipping for larger orders and Royal Mail for smaller orders. Their free shipping applies to all glass sizes over the £45 order value.
GSS use Royal Mail more I think ( at least in my experience) but don't offer the free post if you order larger sheets of glass.
GSS offer Frit samples and then packages of 50g, 450g and tubs of 450g, whilst WG offer 100g packs and 450g tubs but no sample packs.
They both offer discounts that build up the more you spend with them.
They both offer studios that you can visit, and WG offer training courses which fill up very quickly.
I don't know what the profit margin is on Bullseye 90COE glass but I suspect that you might have a hard time setting up and breaking into the market, but that is only my view.

I don't do stained glass but I know that there are other suppliers in the UK.

Hope that helps.
Mark

beadammed

Thanks for that Mark.  That is very helpful.  I suspect that it will be difficult to make a business pay just selling glass.  I think I'll have to look into other areas as well. 
Geraldine
Geraldine

Jane C ♫

Hi Geraldine. Where I think there could be a gap in the market is for someone to liaise with some of the smaller suppliers in the USA to get some of the newest products over here at reasonable prices. Maybe look at AAE glass, Bonnie Doon (Laurie Spray), and Boyce Lundstrom (silicasynergystudio.com). There are quite a lot of products which just don't make it over here! Buying alone you have to pay the whole postage, customs etc. which could be split across a larger group to make it more affordable. Perhaps people could pre-order ...

I'd LOVE to get hold of some of the Lundstrom Universal Mold Coat btw... and I don't think there is currently a UK supplier...
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

beadammed

Thanks Jane,
That's a good idea.  I'll look in to these too.
Geraldine
Geraldine