bombay sapphire gin

Started by Lorac, August 12, 2014, 10:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorac

oh i wish i had one!
maybe able to borrow one from a creme brulee lover!
cheers

Blue Box Studio

You can pick up a cheap torch on Ebay for a few pounds.  Mine just says Creme Brulee on the side, but I used it for silver work.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lorac

what do you guys reckon in the best method for removing labels?  I have been googling away....oven then peel off works quite well but there is a lot of glue residue left behind. tried the oil and baking soda but doesnt remove the paper.
any thoughts???
bombay sapphire......are the sides with the etched ingredients on no good to use then???
cheers

ajda

I use white spirit to remove the glue residue, then give a final wash in hot soapy water, then rinse, then either drip dry or wipe dry with a very clean cloth. It's worth taking time to get the glass really clean. I think the white writing and images of ingredients must be something like enamel. It will remain there through several firings... not too obtrusive to my eye, in fact I quite like it. I'd recommend you experiment with it deliberately as part of a design - and if you don't like it just discard those parts in future.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

theflyingbedstead

Bombay Sapphire bottles have THE most difficult glue to remove! I use Labelclene and then wire wool to remove the glue, then hot soapy water and a final rinse in clean water.

I make a feature of the enamel parts, and use thin fire paper underneath the bottle as the enamel will stick to the kiln shelf primer. I've also cut the bottle up and made mini tiles of the enamel decals.

If you're using the glass to make beads then be careful not to heat it too much as a rusty residue can form.
Charlotte x

Pat from Canvey

I use CarPlan paint thinner in a well ventilated area to remove sticky residue from all sorts of bottles and plastic food tubs. I never leave the cap off the can and use a minimum amount on kitchen paper as the fumes can make you high. Let the paper dry out thoroughly before binning.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on August 22, 2014, 06:17:12 PM
I use CarPlan paint thinner in a well ventilated area to remove sticky residue from all sorts of bottles and plastic food tubs. I never leave the cap off the can and use a minimum amount on kitchen paper as the fumes can make you high. Let the paper dry out thoroughly before binning.

I use Goo Gone, but it's not a quick process.  Sadly, it's not a legal high.  The more we know about Pat, the more we find out about Pat ;) ;) x
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

jeannette

Wd40 on the glue for five minutes or so tends to shift it.

Lorac

oh i love the smell of WD40! what a wonderful excuse. thanks so much.....will try it out forthwith!
cheers :)

Nicknack

Quote from: Lorac on August 23, 2014, 10:20:14 AM
oh i love the smell of WD40! what a wonderful excuse. thanks so much.....will try it out forthwith!
cheers :)

Ewwwwwwww!  I can't stand the smell!  Still, everyone's different. :D

Nick