A little help with float glass

Started by lemon kitten, December 02, 2013, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemon kitten

Well, my foray into fusing is going ok.  I've been using bullseye with great success, however someone I know has given me a vast quantity of float glass.  I have no idea what to use with it.  I know the COE to be 85ish but not sure what to use as inclusions.  Obviously I can't add colour of interest using bullseye.  Anyone got any suggestions please ?

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Zeldazog

You could use copper foil for inclusions

Enamels, glass line pens

Float compatible frit, stringer and confetti (I think Creative Glass Guild sell it)

lemon kitten

Wow! Thanks that's really helpful.  My garage is stacked with glass that I thought I wouldn't be able to use.
X

lemon kitten

I'm leaning towards mica powder however on the one occasion I mixed it with PVA glue as recommended by Dee on get u tube video.......I got a HUGE bubble......and I mean HUGE!  Is there anything else I can mix it with that creates a film but doesn't create bubbles when heated?
Janey x

Pauline

we saw some stuff in warm glass last week which looked great, I think this was it, but they had smaller bottles in the shop
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/liquid-stringer-medium-8oz-p-3742.html?page=1

Zeldazog

Quote from: lemon kitten on December 02, 2013, 09:36:36 PM
I'm leaning towards mica powder however on the one occasion I mixed it with PVA glue as recommended by Dee on get u tube video.......I got a HUGE bubble......and I mean HUGE!  Is there anything else I can mix it with that creates a film but doesn't create bubbles when heated?
Janey x

One of the team from Warm Glass posted a link in your other thread for a suitable product for this, can't remember what its called, but it wasn't the liquid stringer

MeadMoon

That would be "Flexi-Glass".  I've had a couple of goes with it, but not got it quite right yet and have had better results with mica & PVA.  In March I'm going on one of the Warm Glass courses and hope to learn how to use Flexi-Glass properly if I haven't managed to work it out by then.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Krysia@No98

Don't forget you can experiment with texture, cut and layer shapes.  Or you can work with depth, say a land scape or a path through the woods (It's use the glass line pens for that)

Why not do a glass course at college or uni, they will give you loads of ideas
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Nicknack

You can get float glass dichro from Warm Glass, and all dichro is 25% off today in their 12 days of Christmas offers.

Nick

bob proulx

A couple of other things to remember about float glass is that it is not all compatible, different batches from the same company can be slightly off between runs. I always make a project out of the same sheet of glass so I don't worry about coe. Float glass has a tin side because the molten glass was floated on  a bead of molten tin. In some cases it's not important to know and some cases it is. This can be detected using a uv light in a certain nm range, these sell for about $75.00. I use a uv pocked protector that does the same thing but is in the $20.00 range.
Bob

Jane C ♫

With the PVA/mica mix you need to hold it at a low temp for a while to let the glue burn off before you take it up to glassmelt temp.
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Pauline

firedinglass

I only ever used float glass in my bowls. I used inclusions of metals, foils, ground glass, chemicals etc. A lot more experimentation is needed and it is certainly more difficult and frustrating. Having said that it is also more fulfilling and less like painting by numbers with everything compatible, so lots of interesting  projects ahead for you! :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa