My Bluebird is playing up

Started by Dragonfire Glass, July 13, 2014, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfire Glass

Ever since I swapped my SC2 for a Bluebird I've had problems.
The first Bluebird was second hand and had to replace the element as I think it had become brittle with age and didn't like the travelling.
Then I bought a brand new one which required the element replacing almost immediately, which Paragon did FOC.
The relay has gone since, cheap fix, no problem.
The problem I have now is that the kiln is resisting attempts to fire up with an intermittent tcl error.
When I say intermittent I mean I get a tcl error every time I try to fire it up, but each time it will eventually work. The record is 8 attempts.
Anyone got any ideas?
I'm leaning towards some sort of dry joint in the controller.

Blue Box Studio

Paragon were good when my SC2 played up, that was initially intermittent tcl error before the permanent tcl error, and was the relay, they phoned me in the end to go through what it did/was doing.  I'd not personally recommend Cherry Heaven although some have had good service. 

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Steampunkglass

Sounds like a connection is loose or not made properly, maybe have a look and see if some of the connectors to and from the relay need cleaning or are corroded? If the kiln has been in a damp environment for some time they might have built up a bit of corrosion that's stopping them making a good contact, but I am guessing here  ??? ??? ???

Dragonfire Glass

I think you are right Glenn.
The relay clicks (and is recently replaced) so not that, the thermocouple is registering heat and the element is obviously functioning when it gets the chance.
Will have to get my electrical guru (aka hubby) on the case.

Lee - Kilncare

Get hubby to disconnect the thermocouple, making a note of which wire went where. The link the two connections together with a piece of wire.
Turn on the power.
Start the controller.
The link will force the controller to think that there is still a thermocouple connected and that the kiln is a nice steady room temperature.
Start the program running. If the problem still exists it is the actual controller. If the problem is rectified then you can then be sure that it is the thermocouple or thermocouple wire.
If that is the case, turn off the power.  reconnect the thermocouple wires and short them out at the thermocouple if possible.
Turn on the power and start the controller, if the problem is rectified you fault lies in the thermocouple cable or connection. If the problem is still there it is your thermocouple that is faulty.
REMEMBER TO REMOVE ANY LINKS IN THE THERMOCOUPLE CIRCUIT BEFORE USING THE KILN AGAIN!!!

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Dragonfire Glass

Thanks Lee, he will try that.
Funnily enough when it wouldn't fire the last time I tried, hubby squeezed the thermocouple and it did ramp up. We weren't sure if he'd fooled it or it was coincidence!