Main Menu

Quartz rod

Started by fionaess, July 05, 2014, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionaess

Hi
I'm looking for a quartz rod, I fancy to try my hand at fuming, any ideas where I might get hold of one?
Thanks

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

ajda

Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

fionaess

I know off mandrel used to have them, I think k

Steampunkglass

I got two with the kit that Di East used to sell, one for silver, one for gold and a little stand that they fit into. I have used a thick boro rod before now, although you lose some of the fume onto the rod itself and doesn't last as long it might work for a bit if you aren't doing very much?

The Tartan Trout

Tuffnells sell the kits for a very reasonable price.

fionaess

Thanks for the suggestions. But I think I may have sourced a bit :)

ajda

I'm only after a length of quartz rod, not the rest of the kit... How secret is that source Fiona? Is there any more?
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Bobbo

HS Walsh have these for £8.60:

http://www.hswalsh.com/product/quartz-stirring-rod-ts884

I've never used one but I think this should be ok, it's designed for stirring molten gold and silver.

Rob.

Pat from Canvey

If I remember correctly. the rods in the kit Di East used to sell had concave tips so that the molten silver or gold ( now shaped like little balls ) was less likely to fall off when fuming a bead.

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on July 07, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
If I remember correctly. the rods in the kit Di East used to sell had concave tips so that the molten silver or gold ( now shaped like little balls ) was less likely to fall off when fuming a bead.
Yes, she grinds a small dome into the top of them, which can easily be done with a dremel and does help keep it in place. The silver tend to stick once it's melted, but the gold always seem to fall off, then roll away into the general dust and clutter never to be seen again!

Ancasta

Just saw this thread - you don't have to stick to quartz, you can use narrow Boro tubes and it will stick to the end. Just remember to keep the glass part out of the hottest part of the fame. I got my quartz from a Scientific flamework store in Bedfordshire, together with my other supplies, perhaps I can arrange a future extra order for folks on here :)

*Edit*  ??? Confused now, this account is old but I haven't posted in eons, yet it lists me as a new member. Oh well *pulls up a tea trolley and passes round some cakes*  ;D
Happy melting!

Pauline

Quote from: Ancasta on November 09, 2014, 02:41:30 PM
*Edit*  ??? Confused now, this account is old but I haven't posted in eons, yet it lists me as a new member. Oh well *pulls up a tea trolley and passes round some cakes*  ;D

Well welcome back then, I'll have a slice off lemon drizzle please