How to use hollow beads in jewelry

Started by Irene, June 27, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

I have made two Hollow beads (that was so much fun!) and would like to use them in Jewelry. I would like to make a focal hanging from a Chain. So my question is how to "string" this Hollow bead. I used a mandrel With two holes near the end to softly blow the glass. This mandrel makes the holes in the bead larger then what I am used to, so when I tried to put a wire through the holes the bead is moving around on the wire because the holes are so big. How can I make the bead sit still on the wire?  What do you do With Your Hollows?

mizgeorge

You can cap the beads (glueing the caps in place to stop things moving), or string on chain rather than a pin - which can look great as the chain can be seen through the bead.

Otherwise leather, cotton thong or silicone/pvc tube all work well. I think hollows look great just put onto a piece of matching or contrast tube.

mel

Big funky hollows look great on Lush tube, with a couple of hoops either side to frame-and very simple for those of us who are uber-challenged on the jewellery-making front! I wear the first one I made all of the time. I have just made a batch up, so I'll take some photos and post so you can see what I mean.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

ajda

Sound advice so far... Not sure how big that mandrel is, but Palmer do those glue-in silver rivets in various sizes down to about 2mm - http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings/sterling-silver-bead-grommets-1.html - I think these are a different thing to the bead caps George was referring to...
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Irene

Thank you for good advice! Here are two Pictures of my latest Hollow. The holes are not pretty so they need something to hide them. I like the rivets, they would be Nice if I were to string the bead directly on a Chain, the rivets would protect the bead from the moving Chain. A cap solution would be best if I were to use the bead as a sole pendant hanging from a Chain. Any caps to recommend?

mel

They are lovely, and would go well with chain. Here are some with Lush hoops n loops.
transparent blue hollow by laughinglass2006, on Flickr

Funky hollow by laughinglass2006, on Flickr

Sleepy hollow by laughinglass2006, on Flickr

whopper hollow by laughinglass2006, on Flickr
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

Irene

I really like Your beads, and they work so well With the hoops n loops.

MyPrecious

I thread them onto 1.6mm rolo chain.
Kathy

My website

DementedMagpie

If I were to string this sort of bead on thin wire or cord, I'd put one small bead (5 or 6mm in diameter) on each side of it, then fix the whole thing in place (crimps round the outside, for example). The small bead will sit nicely in the holes of the big bead, stop it moving around and conceal the edges quite well.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook