Moving from HH to big girls torch any tips.

Started by redjay, June 23, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjay

I did a day course on a minor, but for the last 14 months I have been working on a HH pretty much every day.  I have decided to to move on up and have ordered an oxycon and an alpha.

Any tips to help with the transition? It is going to be like learning all over again isn't it?

ajda

I'm sure you're going to love it. First, there's the sound - instead of that constant jet blast, now just a gentle purr and huff from the oxycon! I don't think you'll have a difficult transition, especially if you've tried a dual-fuel torch already. Some things will be a bit odd, just because the flame is hotter or because it's more-or-less neutral rather than permanently reducing... so some glasses (or other stuff such as silver) will not behave quite as you expect, but you'll get used to it quickly. I don't know the Alpha, but have a Bravo, the Alpha's big brother/sister. And this is where I have to give you fair warning - having upgraded to the Alpha, how long before you want more..? Beware of flame addiction!
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

lemon kitten

I had a nortel minor and my dad bought me an alpha for my birthday.....I absolutely love it.

Lemon kitten
Never stand up in a canoe!

redjay

Thanks for that guys.... I am hoping to get plenty of practice time in so that I can try out everything with a new flame.
I can't wait to get it set up.

Kaz

The biggest tip is that it's quiet, very quiet and you will forget and burn yourself!

The torch is irrelevant in some ways, it's the oxygen that matters most!!!

Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lynnybobs

The main difference I found going from HH to a minor was the speed of melting -  the softer glasses  melt very quickly ! And of course the lower noise level means you can actually listen to the radio - its fab you'll love it  :)
Lynnybobs
----x----

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
     I would say to just take your time . The glass will get so much more of a liquid state than on your hot head so you will feel like its running away from you or even dripping off the rod , go higher in the flame to begin with were it will be cooler and you will have more control and time to play .

You will love it I promise.

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

alan

When I upgraded it took a while to get used to how quickly the glass melted compared to a HH.A

redjay

Quote from: tuffnell glass on June 24, 2014, 10:37:09 AM
Hi ,
    I would say to just take your time . The glass will get so much more of a liquid state than on your hot head so you will feel like its running away from you or even dripping off the rod , go higher in the flame to begin with were it will be cooler and you will have more control and time to play .

You will love it I promise.

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

I am sure I will. Just getting set up now.
Thanks for calling back and  Thanks for a speedy service. :-)

Thanks guys, I don't feel so nervous about it now. Just dying to get cracking.