Trading standards precious metals trading sign

Started by Hotglass28, June 20, 2014, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

Where.  On.  Earth.  is it?

Been hunting and I can't find it to download and print out.  I'm going nuts!

Anyone?  Halp!

Denise  ::)
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

MadelineBunyan

mizgeorge

Flyingcheesetoastie

I laminated my second one as the first got chewed on by snails at an outdoor fair!

Hotglass28

Cool! Thank you!  you lot are fast.

My aim is to have some components hallmarked on my stand in the future but for now all of the sterling is way under the gram allowance.  Should one point out to potential customers that nothing on the table of mine is hallmarked or just answer if they ask?  i don't want to look like I'm deceaving people.

or shall I wait for the " where is the hallmark on this one question"

Rachel, thats funny about the snails.  I'm deff going to laminate mine.  In fact, I'll laminate everything.  ;D

Flyingcheesetoastie

All of my Sterling silver findings are stamped 925 and are sold as sterling silver.  I don't have anything with a full hallmark unless I get a jeweller to make a special piece for me and they happen to be hallmarking at the time as the process costs are prohibitive for me to have my own mark.

I state my earrings are on sterling silver on my signage as that's the biggest concern, I hardly ever have people asking about other findings but to be honest it's fairly obvious from the price that my cufflinks aren't on sterling silver!

Enchanted Cobwebs

As far as I understand it you need the trading sign even if the items are exempt, just calling things sterling silver means the sign needs to be displayed. I didnt realise you could download one and got stung for £10 for a thick cardboard shiny one that is already out of date!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Flyingcheesetoastie

I have the trading sign, I was merely saying how I label pieces on my stand in addition to the sign being displayed.  Yes if you are selling any precious metal, silver, gold, platinum then you are legally required to display the hallmarking information sign.

Helen G

Yes that's right, if you want to say it's sterling silver, weather underweight or not, you need to display the sign. I got pulled up for this on my first ever show selling lampwork jewellery about 5 years ago. Mr trading standards shoved his card under my nose and gave me a verbal slap on the wrist :o Not seen him or any of his colleagues since but then maybe they have been snooping around but just not bothered me as I now display the sign  ;)

Hotglass28

Yeah I knew that you have to show the sign if you want to put sterling silver instead of white metal.

Need to be prepared just incase they are out on patrol.

Blue Box Studio

Did a fair at Easter where I displayed my sign.  Opposite was another jeweller who was questioned by someone where her dealer notice was (perhaps Trading Standards, do they get away from a desk these days?) so, wait for it, she pointed to mine and said she was using mine and it was prominently displayed :o first I knew of it and had she asked me I could have lent her my spare copy if she'd forgotten hers (but suspect she'd never had one) and whoever it was, was talking to her for some time.  Thought I might get a talking to for putting mine on top of my 5ft tall scarf stand but no; no one looks at the thing normally so I begrudge giving it table space.  I don't think I've ever had anyone look at it closely and ask me questions, even when I did make silver jewellery and have my own mark.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

sea-thistle

I'm going to download the trading standards sign. I have the hardcardboard one I am sure mine is out of date I' m not going to get stung buying one again l'm sure I paid more than £10  :-(

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: sea-thistle on June 24, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
I'm going to download the trading standards sign. I have the hardcardboard one I am sure mine is out of date I' m not going to get stung buying one again l'm sure I paid more than £10  :-(

The new one from ?2010? Includes Palladium. My first one was a paid version, now I just download free versions (always leaving them behind, pinned to walls).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Hotglass28

Sue, that sign.  When I look at a stall I see everything, I may not stand there and stare at one thing, but I take in things fast. 

Maybe some visitors don't need to show they are obviously looking at something to absorb information.   in my view it's well worth having, and it's compulsory so I'd would'nt begrudge it.

I see it as a perk actually, at least you don't have to pay a membership to show it..........    yet

sea-thistle

I've downloaded mine, great, will get HWMBO to laminate it for me. I think mine is older than 2010, but I haven't done any for a while. I've not been well and not anticipating in doing many. The reason I got one in the first place was because Trading and Standards stopped to talk to me, they were very helpful and told me I needed one of those trading signs, so bought one from the Assay Office. I'll have to look out of interest to see if there is any difference. Mine is kept in the very large hard cardboard envelope it came in.  :D