My studio Barley box

Started by Hotglass28, June 03, 2014, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

Hiya, thought it about time to show my area of creation.

Barley/fume box. The big ventilation pipes lead outside to the fan.

I can't remember the cfm but 3000 rings a bell. I've got a dimmer switch so if I'm working with nasty things or want two torches going at one go I can turn it up no problem. I normally have it up pretty high anyway when working just one torch.

We did a little test to make sure it was shifting the fumes by constructing a mini bonfire in the middle, lots of newspaper was used and it made a hell of a mess with lots of exciting smoke. Had no problem moving the air out.

I thought the smoke would leak out from the top as one of my previous barley boxes I had to put a 4 inch baffle on to top. But this one doesn't need it.

Please ignore the pipes, they will be placed out the way for safety.

My work surface is granite and my storage is from ikea.

Oh, and the pipes are going to be replaced with smooth pipes for better flow rate. Not that I need it I think.

So, my messy studio. It's just how I like it as it gets the creative juices going

My Messy Studio by The Owl Goes Hoot, on Flickr
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Margram

Great ventilation - don't forget to weigh down your silver leaf!

I like a creative muddle, too :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Dragonfire Glass

Where's your air inlet? or is that it below the pipe on the left?
Hubby is building me a barley box with the inlet set into the bench

Hotglass28

lol, yeah some silver leaf got sucked away already.  It was round the corner as well, where the glass rods are.  Turned on the ventillation and it whipped right round the corner and away. ::)

My air inlet is right behind me. I just open two windows. It works better when the air is behind me than leaving the door open to the right. I think it evens the flow out.

Where on the bench will the air inlet be? You have to be careful it's placed right in order that fresh air movement to protect you.

Dragonfire Glass

At the other end of the room will defeat the object of moving the studio as in winter the cold air will be pulled past me  ;D
It will be set into the workbench but exactly where hasn't been decided yet, but one either side of the torch area.

Hotglass28

Cool!     I do believe that having the inlet just under your nose, to the back of your torch is the best way of making sure you breathe clean air but I could be mistaken.  I haven't researched much into this way of make up air.

I too love seeing peoples studios, really fun to see the mess or the complete ocd tidy sometimes. lol

Dragonfire Glass

Yes, I think he's talking just behind or level with the torch on either side

Hotglass28

Either side sounds good.  I can't do that to mine as the top is granite.  I didn't want holes in the worktop ruining it.  Took ages to install and cost alot to be drilling holes all over the place.  :o

The proper science lab fume boxes have a strip inlet on the front so it creates a curtain of fresh air infront of you.  My geeky side makes me want to do this but my current workshop is now done.  I'd be in trouble if I started changing things now with the boss. lol