Advice on buying a new kiln

Started by Chaletgirl, May 28, 2014, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaletgirl

I'm trying to decide between two new kilns so would appreciate some help.  I've mostly been doing fusing and printing (decals) and have my own studio space.  So far I've been recommended the Hobbyfuser 3 and the Paragon Fusion 16.  I'm leaning towards the Hobbyfuser as it's slightly bigger and the firm I would get it from do a good after care service (and they'll take my old, dead, kiln away which Paragon won't).  I'll be wanting to use it for more fusing, printing and slumping as well. Advice anyone?

Shirley

I know nothing about fusing, although I have heard people comment that they wish they had bigger kilns, so I would say go for the biggest one that you can afford/fit in.

As far as service goes, personally I can't fault Kilncare.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Nina A

I've got a Paragon 8,  hexagonal shape,  it's good and does the job (13amp so no hard wiring)...
However,      hindsight I wish I looked around a bit more gone for square one, like the Hobbyfuser,   or the
Paragon 16 Dual Clam  they take up less footage in the studio and give more usable room inside.

Good luck,  look forward to hearing what  you get....  :)  Nina

Lush!

Customer service is very important!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

ajda

The Hobbyfuser gets my vote. I've got one and it's a fantastic kiln - well designed, well made (and made in the UK). I also have a smaller Paragon (Caldera), which is great for bead annealing, experimental glass and ceramic work, so I'm not knocking Paragon. But for fusing, in that size/price range, I don't think you can beat the Hobbyfuser.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Lotti

I know nothing about fusing either, but I can say an awful lot about the absolutely amazing customer service you get from Kilncare (who make the hobbyfuser) and they are a long standing British firm. :)

Sarah

Hi

My hobby fuser is a little short of four years old and has been a great kiln. I opted for it because of kilncare's workmanship and service and because it was the biggest footprint I could fit in my shed which didn't need an additional power supply. I already owned a Maxine so was familiar with the kilns. I can highly recommend kilncare.

Shirley has appoint about size - I'm definitely hankering for something bigger!

Good luck

Sarah
Xxx

Zeldazog

You say you'd want it mostly for fusing, slumping, etc - what else are you hoping to use it for?

In terms of what they both can do, both are fusing kilns as opposed to being suitable for anything else, so not a lot between them there.  The Hobbyfuser will go slightly hotter (I think) by a few degrees, but you're unlikely to be going to that temperature with what you say you do.

The Hobbyfuser has quartz kanthal tubes and a ceramic fibre lid, the paragon has a more traditional pinned element in a refactory lid.  Tubes are supposedly very easy to replace, don't know, never ever heard of one needing to be replaced.  That said, the traditional elements rarely fail although sometimes come a bit loose and need re-pinning but that's not difficult.

Both brick lined, would cost around the same to run a firing, both 13amp plug in, both square. 

2cm difference in size - not a lot in it to be honest, except price I guess?

I've had my Hobbyfuser for just over 3 years and its fab.  Mind you, I had a US built kiln before that (Skutt in my case, not Paragon) and I really didn't want to let it go but I didn't have space to keep both.

When I had a controller issue, Lee talked me through a few options for about ten minutes before concluding the controller needed replacing.  A new one arrived within 48 hours (it was late in the day when I rang) sent via courier who phoned me up to tell me he was ten minutes away and confirm my location so that he didn't miss me.

The controller on a Paragon is part of the whole kiln - I don't know if they even keep spare controllers in the UK, I think quite often its a faulty relay which some people do themselves - however, the Hobbyfuser has a stand alone controller unit which simply plugs in at the back with something similar looking to a kettle plug/socket lead - it clips in and out, no screwdrivers or wiring needed!

I doubt I will ever buy a kiln from anywhere other than Kiln-care in future - I don't think you can put a price on after-sales care, especially for me using it for business.  The factory is only an hours drive away, that's very re-assuring - Stoke is definitely in the same time zone!  And I am happy in the knowledge that I am supporting a UK family business.

jeannette

dinah46

All I'd say is to echo what's already been said, buy the biggest you can afford as you will always want to pack more in it or slump bigger bowls etc. 
I bought mine, an evenheat, about 11 years ago from Pearsons and apart from having a new lid fitted it's been great, after sales from Pearsons was good as well. 

I also have a maxi from Kilncare and their service is second to none.

chas

Couldn't say between the two you've narrowed it down to - other than this is one of those situations where size does matter. Whatever your ambitions at the mo, there may well come a time (a nice commission maybe) where larger projects  will find any kiln space 'wanting'.

If it's any guide, our Nabertherm F110 inside is roughly 90 x 60 x 20 cm deep and it's not big enough - though at one time it seemed impossibly, ambitiously, huge.

Chas

Quirky Bird

I fully agree with the folk above who recommend Kilncare - I have the Beadcube and the Maxi (obviously not as big as you're looking for) and the customer service from Lee and co. is fantastic. Wouldn't look anywhere else now!
A clean house is the sign of a broken oxycon.

Chaletgirl

Thanks all for your advice.  I think I'm going for the Hobbyfuser and am buying it today! :)

Jane C ♫

Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Moira HFG