Advice needed

Started by Glassy Lou, May 22, 2014, 01:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glassy Lou

I've made a fused glass piece with a metal hook in between the two layers and I've just noticed a tiny crack by the metal.
Can I "heal" the crack by fusing it again or will that make it worse?
If I do fuse it again, do i need to make it hotter? Or do I need to do the same again with a slower ramp up/cool down?

If it was just for me I'd live with it as it is, but I've made it as a gift for a friend so I want it to be right.
I haven't got enough glass left to redo it from scratch (and not enough time either really) so it's either fix it or don't fix it.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers x

chas

Hi Lou... if you used your normal schedule (ie one that's worked before) it's not easy to see how varying anything will heal the crack alone - it may fuse over but crack again (and worse) on cool-down - it sounds like an incompatibility issue.

That said, if you've written it off, could you put a 'strap' of, say, 2mm over the area and fuse, hoping it'll act as reinforcement/camouflage?

Is the crack hugely visible? Does it threaten the hanging function of the metal? If not, would a tiny application of UV glue get drawn in by capillary action and at least 'mend' the crack?

Good luck,

Chas

firedinglass

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to heal the crack. One of the frustrations of fusing metal and glass......

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa