Main Menu

Lindstrom or tronex?

Started by Sarah9959, April 21, 2014, 11:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah9959

Hi

Considering buying flat nose and possibly bent nose pliers and wondered if anyone has any opinions.
Have read that it can be a personal matter as to what fits your hand better but am interested in views about quality of build and general use
I have some tronex flush cutters and find them very comfortable and easy to use.

Many thanks for any opinions.

mizgeorge

For me, it depends on what they're going to be used for.

I think the general quality of Lindstrom has plummeted since they moved the factory to Spain, and I resent paying quite that much for a product that isn't as good as it used to be. I like Tronex (the short handled version for me), but was disappointed with the shape of their bent chain nose, and didn't find the flat nose very durable - two pairs broken in less than six months would suggest they're not that robust. Only the rather odd shaped long flat nosed seem to be available here anyway.

I have, however, been consistently impressed with the Ultra Ergo range (Eurotool) that Palmer Metals stock. The bent chain nose and flat nose are pretty much direct copies of the original Lindstrom designs, and whilst not quite as lightweight, are nice to use, and are an absolute bargain by comparison. Long lasting too. They do need a little bit of dressing before use if they're for maille, but really very little.

I'm also a big fan of Swanstrom pliers, but have never found a UK or even European stockist.

Sarah9959

Hi George

Hoped you would come along. Will go with the Palmer's version as already have a pair of their chain nose and like them.

I followed your and Gordon's recent advice about jewellers saw for jump rings and it works a treat - only problem being that I will not be able to blame my tools for my poor workmanship, will have to shoulder the blame all myself  ;)

Sarah