Newbie - Fusers Glue?

Started by BearsDesigns, April 03, 2014, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearsDesigns

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to glass fusing and this is my first post.

Is fusers glue supposed to be runny like water or thick and gloopy like PVA?
I ask because I'm sure on my beginners course it was thin  but the bottle I bought is all thick.

TAI

Rachael

Trudi

You can get a very thin BE glasstak glue http://www.glassstudiosupplies.co.uk/epages/es137568.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137568/Products/GT01

Personally I'm not a fan .. I like the white PVA glue .. but you only need a small amount on. And let it dry properly before firing!

BearsDesigns

I've bought this stuff
http://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/product/31276/fusers-glue-fixative-100ml.html
For some reason I was expecting it to be runnier.

A few experiments needed I think.

Trudi

I've never tried it ... but try just a little . I use a cocktail stick or a crafting paint brush.

Glassy Lou

I'm on my mobile so can't really see the glue you've bought - can you water it down? I use pva and I water that down. Trudi's right though - you do need to let it dry thoroughly. It can leave a residue (I think) otherwise. Less is definitely more. 

bob proulx

I have used glasstac and don't like it. I use cheap unscented hairspray fro a pump bottle, works better, cheaper and easy to find when you need it.
Bob

Nicknack

I use glasstac and get on fine with it.  A little seems to go a long way, and you don't have to let it dry before firing.  I've never had any problems with small things, or large (as large as will fit into my SC2, anyway).  PVA is OK for some things, but I mostly use glasstac.

Nick

Glassy Lou

Does the hairspray dry a lot quicker than glue, Bob?

Sarah A

Quote from: bob proulx on April 03, 2014, 10:06:33 PM
I have used glasstac and don't like it. I use cheap unscented hairspray fro a pump bottle, works better, cheaper and easy to find when you need it.
Bob

Bob where do you buy this from as I've struggled to find it.
I usually use pva glue for a full fuse and honey for keeping small bits of stinger in place for tack fusing.

bob proulx

Hi Lou and Sarah.
Lou, it dries much faster.
Sarah, Any supermarket should have cheap pump hair spray. For some reason it is not recommended to use the aerosol spray.

Below is a link to one of my pendant lights, there are many layers of frit, shards and what ever. I probably wait 10 minutes between coats.

Bob

Trudi

Ohh I like the idea of them!

bob proulx

Thanks Trudi, I make and sell alot of pendant lights. These lights were for a costumer who wanted the Oklahoma State colors, he and his wife both went there and are big fans of the teams.
Bob

Nicknack

Those are lovely, but I don't think one would fit in my SC2 :'(.

Nick

bob proulx

Quote from: Nicknack on April 18, 2014, 12:20:31 AM

Nick
Thanks Nick, I have to ask what is a SC2.
Bob

Nicknack

Quote from: bob proulx on April 18, 2014, 11:00:45 PM
Quote from: Nicknack on April 18, 2014, 12:20:31 AM

Nick
Thanks Nick, I have to ask what is a SC2.
Bob

It's a small kiln for annealing beads (Paragon SC2).  I also use mine for fusing, but it's only about 20 cm square inside, so there's no way I could do anything like that.  How big is it before you slump it?  It looks huge!

Nick