Silver cored beads using the Mango Bead Liner

Started by theflyingbedstead, April 03, 2014, 02:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theflyingbedstead

Mango Bead Liner

From http://www.mangobeads.co.uk

Currently unavailable to buy from Mango Beads, and there is a waiting list! Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

This beadliner has been specifically designed with dies to core beads made on a 5mm mandrel, and using specific silver tubing; Rio Grande seamless 4.8mm O/D with an I/D of 4mm:
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-Seamless-Tubing-Hard/100905?Pos=9

This means that a consistent result is achieved because the dies are so precisely machined. They have now also produced dies to fit Rashbel 5mm O/D and 4mm I/D tubing as well:
http://www.rashbel.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_19_20_83&product_id=1911

There are also plans to produce dies for 6mm, 9mm and 12mm mandrels – and I will update this review once I get to try these out! Mango Beads also produce BHB mandrels which have a narrow handle, making them very lightweight to use.

My first impressions of the Mango Bead Liner was that it had been beautifully made; from the satin-finish on the wooden base to the precision used for the dies. It is unique as it has a clamp type press on the front as well as an arbour press. The clamp is used for the first step and the beads are held horizontally, and this aids getting the bead lined up centrally on the core. Then the arbour press provides the power to finish the coring to a professional standard. The instruction manual supplied is very detailed (far more so than my instructions), and it came with a sample piece of silver tubing (which had been flared out on the clamp), and a finished bead to help the user as guides. What impressed me the most though is that the press can handle my bumpy beads without cracking them. As they say on the website about their dies: "Their unique shape ensures that pressure during this second stage is not applied to the contours of the bead hole which is what causes cracking and chipping. Instead one die flattens the flared silver to the bead whilst at the same time supporting the inside of the tube preventing 'crinkling'. The Finishing Die 'secures' the silver tube by gently turning the edge of the tube down on the surface of your bead ensuring no pressure is applied in the wrong place."
As the dies are longer in size than other bead liners, really long beads cannot be accommodated – I think the maximum bead length is around 45mm long.

As with other bead liners you will need to measure your bead. Amanda and David suggest adding 2.8mm to the length of the tubing as a starting point, but stress that different artists have different sized puckers so experimentation with your beads is essential. So I experimented with sizes from 1.8mm to 3.1mm to get the perfect size for my beads. I found that with a normal Troll size bead 2.6mm worked well and for a larger bead 2.8mm was spot on.

Using a good quality pipe cutter is essential, and Mango Beads produce a fabulous set of deburrers, which are the best that I have found!

I also use a block with sandpaper to finish off the outside of the tubing ensuring that the ends stay flat.

You will then need to anneal your tubing and clean.

Step 1

Centre your bead on the tubing within the clamp and turn the handle to get half the amount of flare below, then turn the bead around and repeat – you are aiming for this (but with a bead on!):

The bead should be able to move freely on the core, and there should be a small gap between the tube and bead.

Step 2

Take the bead out of the clamp and use then loosely screw in the first set of Delrin dies:

Place the bead on top and VERY gently press. I like to hold onto the bead to ensure it is secure and so that I can 'feel' any pressure on the glass. Turn the bead and repeat. Repeat this as required and keep checking the bead to ensure that both sides have been flattened equally. The bead should still be able to be moved around the core.

Step 3

Unscrew the top die and replace with the finishing die, which is labelled with a white sticker.

Then use even less pressure when pressing the outer edge of the silver – keep flipping the bead and check your progress until the silver lip has turned towards the bead surface. Hopefully the rivet will not move freely on the bead by the end of this stage – but don't press too much as you don't want to break your bead.

Step 4

Polish the silver!

For a bumpy bead I did the same as before:

I hope that you enjoyed my review – feedback is welcome!
Charlotte x

marijane

I have this press!  Its great, and I love your review and the lovely photographs.  I have not used mine much yet because I have not done much lamp working since I got it.  Hopefully that will all change now!

Lyn G

Great review, Charlotte......and fabulous beads!   ;D

Can I ask what process you have used to make the top bead?  It is really gorgeous!   :) :)

theflyingbedstead

Thank you both!  ;D

Yes, you must play with your bead liner - they are quite an investment but this one is a joy to use!

Quote from: Lyn G on April 03, 2014, 08:20:49 PM
Can I ask what process you have used to make the top bead?  It is really gorgeous!   :) :)

I have used black Thompson enamel on top of a lavender transparent glass, then gold and silver fumed the bead, and I was very chuffed to get a green coloured fuming. It was then sandblasted with tree designs masked out. It took a while!  ;)
Charlotte x

Lyn G

Thanks, Charlotte......it sounds really complicated!  I love it!   :) :)

spexy

Not something I do at the moment but it's a great review.

Niki Gough

Brilliant review and is there a price? Had a look on Mango beads but couldn't find the price? Am i being blind (wouldn't be the first time!)
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

theflyingbedstead

Quote from: GlassByNiki on April 05, 2014, 03:47:37 AM
Brilliant review and is there a price? Had a look on Mango beads but couldn't find the price? Am i being blind (wouldn't be the first time!)

I can't remember exactly how much I paid 2 years ago when I bought mine at the Flame Off...
At the moment though they are unavailable to buy due to supplier issues, and I know that Manda and David are very busy catching up with stuff and getting ready for the Flame Off. Their bead liner is worth the wait though!
Charlotte x

JKC

Just to give you an idea of costs, although they may have gone up.

When I bought mine in 2011, (still haven't used it yet, but I'm sure i will one day).

Prices:

1 press £245
Deburrers £32 (x 2, for tidying up ends of tube)
Shipping £20 (it is very heavy and well packed and I live in the Highlands) 

Janet

MangoBeads

Charlotte thank you for the amazing review :) so much hard work for you but full of so much useful info on all the bead liners you have reviewed.

We hope to begin making them again as soon as possible - last year has slowed us down and unfortunately at present we don't have the funds necessary to invest in the number of parts we need to buy to keep the costs down - so it's on hold - but David refuses to give up on it and we are working towards having more available as soon as possible :)

So those of you that have them are lucky bunnies !

theflyingbedstead

I wonder if it would be worth taking a deposit for those on the waiting list? I know that there is a demand for these liners - I was lucky to get one when I did!
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Whoops - thank you Manda! Where have my manners gone?  ::)
Charlotte x

MangoBeads

Nice idea but we wouldn't dream of it - we wont take money from anyone till the press is actually available :)