new oxycon, very loud ?

Started by Anthony, March 25, 2014, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Hi,

Just set up and running my oxy from Tuffnells, excellent service as usual !

Seems to be running fine ( still waiting for my torch ) but  its very noisy ?

I'm not sure what normal is ?
It sounds like about 5 fridges running at the same time and there is no way you could watch TV in the same room for example.
Is everyone else's this noisy ?

Also probably nothing but my one is 4 LPM and I thought 5 lpm was the lowest you could use?

Dragonfire Glass

helbels

Mine is a 4lpm one too, and it works fine.

Anthony

Thanks both,

Can't handle this noise level, I can  hear it from the next room and there is no way I could have two of these running together.

I though my hothead and extraction was noisy !

Blue Box Studio

Definitely doesn't sound right.  My 4ltr oxy from Martin, Devilbis I think, is about the same noise as my fridge.  You certainly can't hear it if you stand outside my shedio.  Have no fear, Martin will sort it for you, perhaps just needs tweaking?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Anthony

Mmmm, I've been reading the old threads.

It seems dropping it from about 3 inches is recommended for some things but best wait for martin's advice I think.

Oh well, no problemo !

It certainly looks at home in my studio ( kitchen, lol ).
Same color as my parrot ...

Calico Cat

I believe that there is a large weight inside, that stabilises the oxycon, sort of held held in place by springs.

It can move in transit and might cause quite a racket if off centre - think a spin dryer when all the clothes are over to one side.

If that is the case, then dropping it, in theory, might jolt the weight back into place.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Nammie

O
Quote from: Calico Cat on March 25, 2014, 08:49:41 PM
If that is the case, then dropping it, in theory, might jolt the weight back into place.

Or do for it completely :)
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for percussive maintenance but I'd wait for Martin to wake up in the morning and give him a ring, you never know he might even spot this thread before you call him....

Shirley

I bet Martin tells you to pick it up and drop it :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Anthony

I live in first floor flat so can drop it from 20 feet if required.

Maybe I should give it a good thump.

Only kidding, I could never harm anything that breathes ..

Anthony

Just a thought,

Should these be stored/transported upright as mine was delivered on it's back.

I've let it settle in the warm and will try again tomorrow, maybe I'll have my new torch as well.

Calico Cat

Yep, they should be transported upright.

When I had a car, mine travelled on the back seat -wearing its seatbelt of course  ;)

If yours was on it's back, it probably is the weight (might be the motor that's held on "springs") that is the problem.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: Calico Cat on March 26, 2014, 06:57:13 AM
Yep, they should be transported upright.

When I had a car, mine travelled on the back seat -wearing its seatbelt of course  ;)

If yours was on it's back, it probably is the weight (might be the motor that's held on "springs") that is the problem.

Mine gets :D the front seat (and seat belt of course)

I agree about the weight shifting, but Martin will know for sure :)

Anthony

Martin agreed it didn't sound right and my replacement arrives Friday  😀

I tried dropping it ( after phone call ) but no luck.
Air was coming through fine it was just the noise level, sounded like I had a  generator running in my kitchen 👎

tuffnell glass

Hi Anthony,
                Glad to inform you your replacement oxy-con has been tested and is packed awaiting collection , delivery Friday .

Best wishes ,
Martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk