Hothead to Mega Minor, What to expect?

Started by Anthony, March 06, 2014, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

So after 2 months on my trusty HH, the time has come for something a tad hotter/faster.

I,m pretty sure I'll be getting a mega and oxy from Tuffnells in a few weeks time and have never seen a dual torch let alone played with one!

Is there much heat difference from my HH? Lol!

I've no plans to try boro but would like to make quite large beads and I've read the Mega has slightly bushier flame, although I'll only have the one oxycon.

Will I need to get any fittings to attach the torch to hoses?
I've got the bulk propene setup but not sure about threaded barbs on the Mega.

What do all you experienced lampys think, sounds like a plan?

Feels like Xmas all over again!

MangoBeads

How exciting !! Will you notice a difference ? Oh my gosh yes !!!!!!

As long as you have the propane gas regs and flash backs which you will if you were running your HH on propane you won't need any additional attachments other than lemon clips to fix the hosing to the torch .
Ofcourse you will need the OxyCon.

All would say is try all the torches - they are all different and having your heart set on one before you have explored and tried them out may be a mistake - everyone likes different things and at the stage you are at you need to choose a torch that feels comfortable - I had my minor torch for 6 years and it's still my always go back to torch .

I would recommend you also look at the Alpha - but then I am biased :)

Hope that helps and we look forward to meeting you !

flowerjasper

You should be able to use the same propane attachments,
The first thing you will notice is the lack of noise  ;D
You can listen to music,
I worked on a hot head for 18 months before doing what you are, so I had to  relearn but has you are a relative new comer just have fun!
Yes it is hotter and faster so practice with cheap glass till you get the hang of it and don't hold the mandrel in the flame for too long coz the end will fall off, :o
Enjoy
Sandy

Trudi

You'll also be able to control the flame settings - from propane rich to neutral to oxidising!

Nicknack

Why not come to Flame Off in April, where you can try out all the torches and decide which suits you best?  You say "in a few weeks", well, Flame Off is in just over a month (EEEEEEEEEEE, getting all excited!).

Nick

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
"Just over a month"  ahhhhhhhhhhh

You will notice a massive difference in noise , flame control , flame heat and the clean burning that allows encasing and working with Double Helix colours that are a lot harder on the Hot Head.
Visiting Flame Off is an excellent idea(well I would say that) but there will be a "try before you buy" bench that will have a Minor, Alpha  and probably a Bobcat all running on 5ltr oxy-con so this will let you play with the exact set up your looking at , play with soft glass and boro too on the torches and simply work out which torch you are more comfortably on . Being the worlds worst salesman I would recommend the Minor(the cheapest) but the Alpha has a wicked clean , sharp flame to work with .

You will learn too that you don't need a flame the same size as the Hot Head , a very common first time mistake and also that the dual fuel torches get the glass that much more hotter and in a more liquid state so the glass really flows rather pushing it into shape which is common on a Hot Head .

Best wishes ,
Martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Anthony

Thanks everyone for replies,

Have been thinking about flame off as it does sound ideal, but I care for my dad so cannot leave him alone for long as he is not well and not so long ago he awoke to discover a burglar in his bedroom who pushed him to the floor (he's 82!) and ran out.

Melting Mandrel's!
Sounds hot!!!

I did try the reduction flame once on my hothead, made a 1.5" barrel, rolled in multi-frit and flashed in the flame. Turned all silvery, lovely jublee!

Think I'll just have to take the plunge with the mega and hope its not too hot.Is there much difference between the mega and minor on one oxy?

From what I've read the mega is slightly hotter with slightly wider flame which sounds good to me.

Mmmmmm, decisions.......

Anthony

Almost forgot, Passing the Flame arrived today.

I can see why its nicknamed the bible !!!

tuffnell glass

Hi Anthony ,

To be perfectly honest on 1 oxy-con you will not notice the difference between the Minor and Mega.
Best wishes ,
Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

cas

I recently got the mega minor after being on a hot head for 18 months. I wish I knew before I bought it that it would be similar to the minor on 1 oxycon. I'm currently having a few problems with mine - hoping to sort it out soon with help from tuffnells. I was taught on the minor and thought that the mega would be hotter on 1 oxycon.

June

Be prepared to burn through a mandrel !!  :o ;D.

Barnacle Bay

I pondered over buying a Mega, but went for the Minor which I find really easy to use and I have managed to make large beads and work borro quite easerly with it using one oxy.

You might find this of interest:

http://www.nortelglass.com/torches-choices.shtml

Dragonfire Glass

I prefer my minor to my mega and I'm thinking of swapping to an alpha or midrange when I have enough pennies

Trudi

I have a minor which I'm thinking of selling! I can take a picture in the morning and let you see it if you're interested!

Pauline

HI Anthony, I have a mega minor on 1 oxy.  I live in Bridgend, do you want to have a play on mine to see if you like it?  PM me