2 5L Oxycon or 1 10L - difference?

Started by Rascal, February 22, 2014, 09:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

Hi,

I have a mega minor but want to start doing bigger beads (lentils about 40mm) but I'm finding my mega minor on 1 oxycon isn't hot enough, i do know I can be impatient waiting for large beads to melt but in addition I'm not sure if mine needs servicing but the flame seems smaller than it used to be.

I was searching the forum for servicing and come across lots of people that run 2 Oxycons so am thinking of investing in another 1 to give a hotter/bigger flame, but if my bonus comes through at work I could get a new 10L one.

So probably a stupid question, is having 2 5L the same as having 1 10L?

Second stupid question, is the 10L too big for a Mega Minor, it isn't listed as a torch on Martin's definition but I don't understand if you can run 2 5L why you can't run 1 10L - but it probably isn't as simple as it is in my head!

Of course if the bonus doesn't come through the 10L question is irrelevant but still curious.

Thanks

Karen

GlassWorks

2 x 5l means if one does fail (heaven forbid) you still have one running?..

anyone else?..

Dragonfire Glass

I have a mega and until recently was on one 5 litre oxycon. It was powerful enough to make 40mm lentils.
I have recently bought a 10 litre which is more than adequate to do the job too.

Kaz

I have a Lynx on a 10lpm and a minor on 2 x5lpms with a splitter - not sure if it's just the torch but the lynx is much hotter and cleaner. In Oz I have a bobcat on a brand new 5lpm and that's much more powerful than a recon. I have worked on bottled oxy in Oz and that makes a huge difference to the heat!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Chameleon

I have used my minor on a variety of combinations, 1 oxy,  2 recon old style companion oxys, 2 recon oxys 1 companion 1 devilbiss, and tanked. I have also used a minor on a new oxy (5lt).

I would say the things to consider are 2x 5lt versus 1x 10lt -

As Quinton says a back up should you have any problems (I'm currently down from 3oxys to one due to faults, but mine are old machines 1 is over 8 years)

Space - if you are limited 1 machine takes up less

All oxys are not created equal, in my experience the older companion models give out more oxy. I've had both my torches hooked up to one of each oxy and the companion is better, my previous companion was too. The new 5lt I tried was not on my torch or near another I could directly compare but seemed very good, equal to the companion possibly better.

My understanding is you can only group oxys of the samp lpm so all 5lp on one group,but not mixed 5 and 10, so if long term you wanted to run two torches from 1x10lt and 1 x 5 you could just link one oxy to each torch but with 3 x 5lt you could combine 3 into one line and split evenly between two torches (Martin / Q / Sean ?? Maybe you can confirm / refute this ? )

Hope that helps

Hamilton Taylor

Yes, you can run 1x10 instead of 2x5 - but you should get the 10 and y-connect it in with the 5 for a total of 15 - then you have a mighty good excuse to upgrade your torch! :-)
I currently have 3x10 and 1x5 all y-connected together, and, with no load on (ie an open oxy line) it's the resistance in the hose which governs how much oxy is delivered, not the concentrators themselves. its true that the 5 is pushing less hard, but its still contributing. This system is in use 5 days a week, and hasn't shown any problems so far.
I don't understand the whole 'don't mix oxycon sizes' thing - the output pressures are pretty much the same (they have to be - they are for open facemasks, you can't go blowing your patients through the wall, it's bad for business...), it's just the volumes which are different.

Sean

Lotti

Reasons I went for one 10L rather than 2 smaller ones was A) space and B) I thought having two would cost more electriciity wise (but could be wrong!).  Admittedly if this one goes wrong I am without one but that was a risk I was prepared to take. :)

GlassWorks

we run a lot of torches when we run classes, and if i play with fat boro rods and my barracuda... may i ask why you don't consider tanked oxy?.. it's not for everyone for sure, but it transforms the torches (even a minor will very happily work boro) and the installation uses no electricity and takes up very little space?..

naturally all the warnings etc apply - the complexity of the installation etc aside....

8)

Rascal

Thanks for all the replies,

I like Sean's theory, although husband wasn't as keen at the mention of next torch! I'm going to have a look at my existing one in case it needs a service to help me through to bonus pay time (March so not too long away) and can then decide which way to go depending on how much bonus is.

I like the idea of 2 5's in case one breaks but perhaps rather than trade in my existing one, I could get the 10 and keep this one as back up just in case. Just need to make sure space is ok to keep it.

Thanks again

Forgot to say, I ruled out cylinders (maybe too quickly) due to cost and for some reason they seem scarier than oxycons - that may be irrational but just thought of gas bottles freaked me for a while at the beginning. Maybe I should look into those a bit more rather than instantly discounting them

ARBeads

Another one running an odd mix of oxycons, 2x5ltr and 1x10ltr all refurbed. I put the lot on quick releases - normally it's just the 2 x 5ltrs which fit under the bench, the big boy comes out when I'm on boro.

I'd love to go back on tanked but it's just to damn expensive, and Andy nearly did his back in lugging the tanks around.

I've been looking into alternatives and decided this may just do the job  ;D

http://www.atlascopco.co.uk/ukus/products/Product.aspx?id=3506383
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Rascal

Blimey that looks a beast that means business.

Shirley

Tanked oxygen - expensive, more dangerous, needs chaining, runs out. Generally not used over here apart from a multi torch set up  as far as I know. There will be some people using it, of course.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

GlassWorks

yep shirley i have to agree.. tanked oxy is a bit more than most anyone other than multi torch studios need - and i am not sure that there are not regs about installation in a private home too?.. if you have a registered business with building/studio i guess it would be easier to sort out with a gas fitter..

to be fair though, if you wander around murano everyone there flings their oxy bottles around in what can only be described as italian casualness... it is absolutely brilliant in a class/studio environment though.. i have huge bottles delivered by my local gas welding guys and we're hooked on it...

griet uses a few oxy's for the workstations in the house - but out in the barn the tanked oxy makes life much easier...

;)

edited to add - by happy co-incidence we have just had to cut and pack an order or boro for a french customer, including 30mm thin wall tube, and 27mm solid rods.. i used a single 5lpm oxy on a standard minor to cut the tube and the rod, although the rod took patience, and i cannot pretend i was "working" the glass, just heating it up enough to muscle it apart and smooth down the ends..

Blue Box Studio

Interesting thread :)  Was thining about getting another 5ltr at some stage.

I looked into tanked oxy when I bought my Minor, but the local suppliers refused to supply to a private address, despite me working from a studio at the end of the garden.  Unless I had a medical need - not sure making beads quite qualifies as a medical need, although does keep the stress levels down at the moment.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Chameleon

Thanks to those who confirmed I was wrong about mixing oxy's you have given me a great excuse  ;D ;D ;D