hairline stringers

Started by bellag13, January 19, 2014, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellag13

Hi everyone
I've been trying to do very fine stringer work. I've followed Corrina's tut on her web page and I can get them on the bead ok but I think I'm missing a trick, although they are very fine when applied they are finishing up thicker than I want. I think it must be to do with the way I melting them in ?
Anyone got any tips I could try please ?

Pat from Canvey

You could try making encased stringers so that when you melt in, the line is not so thick. Melt a blob on the end of a rod and marver into a cylinder thicker than the original rod. Encase with clear and pull as a stringer. See if that gives you the effect you want.

spexy

Thinner stringer? The stringers that JC Herrell uses are so fine I have trouble seeing them.

Shirley

Might depend what glass you are using to. Intense black, for example, will spread. Reichenbach deep black won't. There is another that sinks in but remains fine, but I can't remember which. Belladonna, maybe. Linda will probably know as it was JC Herrell who recommended it and she might have it in her notes.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

spexy

JC fell in love with Reichenbach deep black after we recommended it to her. I can't remember what she used before. I will have a look at my notes to see.

bellag13

That's it, I am using intense black ! Thank you
I can see I'll have to do a bit of shopping.
Thanks for your suggestion Pat I tried it but it wasn't quite the effect I was looking for but I sure it will be useful another time.

Shirley

Glad to be of help :) . Your intense black will be perfect for making organic beads.

JKC

Hi Linda, we used DSP on the course.  JC has a some stringer practice tips on her web site for a donation if you find it useful.  Janet

Shirley

We did use DSP, but JC mentioned a particular black glass that she used too.

bellag13

I had a look on JC site today and she mentioned Dark Silver plum so I've had a go with that and will let you know how it comes out tomorrow

bellag13

Well the lines where much better than the Intense black I was using but I like the black colour so I'll still get some of the deep black.
I'm much happier now I know what was going wrong :)
Thank you