SRA (Self Representing Artists) - Application process? Long delay ...?

Started by Jane C ♫, January 19, 2014, 12:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

BeeBeads

Anyone still waiting for their SRA number to come through may be interested in this thread on LE, particularly the last comments from Melinda.  I feel quite sorry for her, she's obviously been doing what she can to keep it going but hasn't had the
best support from the others involved in the process.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243327

lampworklover

I can't access the thread for some reason, although I thought I was a member ???. I did have an e:mail after I chased my application, and got this reply from Melinda:
I have been unable to contact Connie for over a year. Since I have no idea what she has processed, I'm stuck as to where to go from here. Seems everything is on hold for now until we figure things out.

sorry, thought I had posted this a couple of weeks ago.

Gordon

ruth

It would be good to have a U.K /Briish/European assoc but do we have any volunteers to set it up  and run it?

Would we want a criteria for membership, some form of quality control for example?  Or would we favour a more open approach?

There are existing organisations that may allow members to use members to quote membership as a indication of authenticity without involving a vast amount of work. The downside of this is generally a annual fee for membership.
Is anyone else able to give some time and thought to this?
Ruth
Sewnthings
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Shirley

Sounds like the sort of thing that GBUK could cover. I imagine that their aims are very similar to those of any SRA-type organisation
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Zeldazog

Was SRA something that was originally set up more to 'validate' handmade sellers on Ebay?

I must admit I had never even heard of it before I joined Frit, I had to look up what it meant when I saw it. 

I don't know how long it's been going, but to be honest, there are plenty of places people can now specifically go when looking for hand-made items - Etsy (ish) Folksy and a plethora of other sites that have grown in the last few years.

Admittedly I am not a big lampwork buyer, nor a jewellery maker, and I've tended to only buy when I've spotted something on here I like, or has been included in treasury, something from a favourite seller etc - but even though I know it exists, I still don't know if I would use it as a search term when buying.   Chances are, if you're buying from sellers on the t'internet, through places like Etsy and Ebay - you'd be buying from a "self representing artist" anyway - otherwise, you'd be in a gallery?

Jane C ♫

To be honest, I'd probably suggest that GBUK do a members badge that people can download use on their websites etc. Maybe generate each one with name and membership number if you're feeling fancy ...

It's coming up to GBUK renewal time so this could be a great time to do something about it.
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Kalorlo

The members' badge is definitely something that's been on our to-do list. Will email the rest of the committee.

Jane C ♫

Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website