Main Menu

Knew Concepts Saw Frame

Started by JanieD, January 04, 2014, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanieD

Dear All,

Have had a windfall recently, and am trying to spend it wisely(!). I thought I would treat OH and myself to a Pillar Drill (bench or floor mounted depending on cost) as he has started building guitars.
Have been looking at the Knew Concepts saw frames - wanted one for ages as I do such a lot of metal saw piercing (I think I'll have to invest in a CNC setup eventually before my hands drop off).

I don't know whether to get the red aluminium one or the titanium one - it would be the 8" size, can't get away with any smaller.

Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend either one? I know the Ti one is twice the price, but no point in splurging if no good reason.

Jane

mizgeorge

I have four of the red ones, and love them. A couple are 'original' versions, and I've retrofitted these with quick release levers and new metal screws. My on comment on the Ti version is that I believe it's heavier, and whilst I can see the appeal of even more rigidity, the extra weight would make it less desirable for me. I'm also unconvinced about the extra bulk.

I don't think the swivel feature is really worth it for me, but for a woodworker might be a bonus.

JanieD

Thanks for that George, it's helped me decide to go for the aluminium. I'm unconvinced about the extra weight/bulk as well.
I'm glad you mentioned the swivel feature, as I wasn't sure it was a necessary feature for metalwork, and it helps to have it confirmed, but will go for the quick release levers.

I would much rather spend less money, and get something suitable. (More money left for sneaky glass purchases!)

Jane

mizgeorge

I think these guys currently have the best UK price - http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Knew_Concepts_Jewellers_Saws and are lovely to deal with :)

JanieD

Yes, you're right, I just checked them out, thanks again.

Jane

Shirley

So what makes the difference? The main problem I have with sawing is the screws coming loose so the blade is slack.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

JKC

Just a note to anyone buying an upgrade from the States, it cost me £15.20 for the kit, but an additional £5.47 postage and £11.05 for customs inc £8 PO fee. Janet

Gordon

If I had more money than sense ( and I don have much sense  :) ) I would buy a new sexy handle for my expensive Knew Concept saw.

See these beauties ( click for site ) ...

$85 = just over £50 just for the handle !!!

chipperpottery

I would love one, but I have just spent out on other tools. Maybe later in the year.

JanieD

They are lovely handles, but I'm quite happy with my newly arrived Knew Concepts frame, which has pride of place on my tool board!

Jane