Choosing Kiln

Started by Maqea, December 25, 2013, 09:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maqea

Hi!
I got a pleasant problem. Hubby gave me a bead annealing kiln as a christmasgift. Now I have to choose the kiln and I would like your advice. I have read the other threads regarding the "choosing kiln" issue here but I thought I ask out of my own perspective. I just dont want to forget something important when I choose kiln and dont want to regret my purchase. Tell me anything you think I should consider when buying my first kiln (brand, size, features, cost, anything/everything else).

There are a few things I know I want
- Bead door is must
- Work for bead annealing, glass fusing(maybe smal item slumping) and silver clay
- Service/spareparts avaliable
- Digital controller (I dont want to babysit the kiln)

I am a "Interbeadiate" lampworker and sometimes I make lots of smal beads and sometimes labor for a long time to make one bead. As I use vermeculite and batch anneal now I want a kiln that allows me to make bigger more elaborated beads using, for example, silverleafs hence the bead door as a must.

Happy hollidays =)

GaysieMay

I have a bead cube drom kiln are because they are UK based and have an excellent reputation for aftercare service - I've never had to use it and mystery have had my kiln nearly three years.  It is very small and I had been thinking of up grading to a Maxine as I teach lampworking.  However I just had the genius idea of buying a second bead cube which I could turn on if I felt I needed it.  Not sure about fusing in the bead cube as I have a larger kiln in my garage a Skutt Hot Start - virtually redundant now although I did fuse some float glass for a friend last week.  Good luck in making your choice. X
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Moira HFG

For the uses you describe, a Beadcube would be an excellent choice.

The main alternatives would be a Paragon SC2 or the bigger SC3, which go a bit hotter and would give you more space if you want to fuse and slump.

I think the main thing is to focus on what you want it for now. If beads is your thing, get a good bead kiln. If you grow to love fusing later, you'll probably want a top loader in addition.

Barnacle Bay

I have the Paragon Caldera (top loader) with the bead door collar - it is brilliant for beads and fusing and not that expensive.  I started with an efco (bought 2nd hand) which is virtually identical to the bead cube, but I find it is way too small - hence the Caldera was bought soon afterwards.  I only use the efco to warm the glass rods in.
I am now getting a larger kiln 45 litres to replace an old hobby master which went poof a while back.

I would say buy the biggest one you can afford, as I think you may grow out of a bead cube quite quickly if you are wanting to possibly make larger things later on  ;)

Have a look at what Kristina Logan is using in this video tut - is is virtually the same as the Caldera:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41405.0

Direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAU3FQmel4

Zeldazog

I'd agree with Moira - go for what you want it for now.  

We've had many a discussion about kilns wanted for many techniques and there is no *one* kiln that does it all to the standard of a kiln designed specifically for the purpose (so what I mean, yes, a bead cube or an SC2 may be able to fuse, but only small scale and you sometimes get uneven firing not associated with a dedicated fusing kiln (and the bead door doesn't *help* this although can be overcome)  - *but* a fusing kiln will be usually top loading and and ideally top firing, no good for garaging.  If you want the kiln that you can fill out with beads, then the Maxi/Maxine and Bluebird are great but don't go hot enough for other things.  I'd sa

Get the kiln for the thing want it for most, and consider the options of what else it can do.  Have a trawl through the threads and find out what people like or dislike about their kiln.

When you're looking at the size of the kiln, don't forget to think how much space you need around it too.  What do you have room for.  Are you likely to need to move it around sometimes?

Personally, I don't think you can go far wrong with Kilncare's Beadcube - it's hot enough to do everything you want, you get the support of a UK supplier, has a good controller, and they are popular, so hold price well I should think - it's something I will certainly invest in at some point in the future, as when I go for a larger fusing kiln I want a smaller test one, and the Beadcube does everything else I'd like to try too - (that said, I nearly bought a Caldera, but I needed to be able to put the kiln out the way at the time I was first buying (started fusing in my kitchen, space was a premium) and I wasn't happy with how it would stand up to keep being moved - it didn't feel as portable as I wanted.

Of course, only you know how much you make in one go, and whether you're likely to out grow it any time soon.  

You don't start looking at expense to run until you get up to hard-wired, powerful kilns for ceramics or large scale fusing, so I wouldn't fret too much about firing cycle costs.

anfrank

My hubby bought me a Kilncare Bead Cube for Christmas (xx00xx)  and it's just on its maiden voyage doing a batch programme (already pre-set thank goodness) so I'll let you know how that goes.  But I have to say I am overjoyed with it.  It's small but perfectly formed, does exactly what I want (annealing beads) and the programmer seems v easy to use.  I can't imagine I will ever need to add extra programmes as the two pre-programmed in do just what I might need, but there is plenty of scope there if needed.  It is beautiful and I love it already!   ;D :D ;D

GaysieMay

Just reread my post from this morning -was on a mobile so apologise for some of the predictive spelling I didn't notice.  ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Moira HFG

;D  Thought so! I find predictive text really annoying!

Zeldazog

To be fair, I didn't say go for a small kiln - I said go with your priority - you've just said "if you want to play with fire and get onto bigger stuff" - well yes, if that's your priority, then obviously you cannot do that in a small kiln.  I couldn't make some of what I make in a Beadcube.  Or a Caldera,  Or even a Hot start Pro, which I used for five years and as far as I know, is still going strong.  Reason for sale?  Bigger kiln, not because the elements were failing.

If annealing as you go is a priority, then the best large ceramics kiln in the world is still going to be useless.  Caldera is a good all rounder indeed, I love the idea that it can do ceramics (although it's highest temperature is affected by the collars you put on, so you can't get height AND a porcelain firing in one go) but I didn't feel it was as portable.  I had one, sent it back (and that was a battle due to customer that apparently only extended to telling me what i wanted for a sale, but no interest when it wasn't right).  

You may also have to consider price (if that's an issue) - Caldera with bead collar is about half as much again as a Beadcube.

Originally Maqea listed one of the priorities as service/parts available.  I recall reading, more than once on this forum, of occasions where people could not get back/up service from Paragon because they're in a different time zone and were having to wait several hours/next day to get replies.  And of course, if you actually need that spare part shipping....

I'm not saying that the Caldera is a bad kiln. (although it can't make a 40cm plate  ;)) - I am not saying that ceramics kilns are bad kilns - actually would have loved to get a kiln that was hot enough to fire the ceramic work I was doing at Uni.  But, there wasn't ONE kiln that fired hot enough to do that, was big enough to do large plates AND could be plugged in at home - which at the time, was an absolute must.

Which is why I said, go for what you want it for now.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Ooooh dare I wade into this one....

I won't repeat the various points made above but will say that as an owner of a Beadcube, two ceramic toploaders and a large flat bed glass kiln, I would recommend the Beadcube as your starting point.

Yes in terms of size you are paying a premium on a smaller kiln but the Beadcube package is fantastic, it's all well built and I move mine around all the time. I had a controller fail due to relays wearing out last year and it was replaced the next day free of charge under its warrantee without question and with advise on how to prevent any future problems.

I've used a caldera and the Paragons too, but I've just kept to British kilns and companies so I can pick up the phone and get the advise I need.

I also have to add that I don't use the Beadcube for beads! I've used it for PMC, enamel firings and fusing. Although I originally bought it for the controller to run one of my toploaders. The kiln was a bonus but really.

Jane C ♫

I've got the Paragon SC2, which is fine and does what it's told. I've used it for bead annealing (both "as you go" and batch).

However, if I'd seen the Kilncare BeadCube before I got it then I'd probably have bought the BeadCube - the bead door on the beadcube looks much easier to use and looks like it seals better too!

I'd start with the BeadCube and then invest in something bigger later if you want to do fusing.
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Maqea

Thank you all for your input. =)

A friend of mine have a toploaded kiln and she loves it and do bead annealing and fusing in it. I am terrified of the thing. I have burnt myself badly on it and are scared everyt time I need to open it to put a finished bead inside. I use big ironworkinggloves on but are still not comfortabe with sticking my hand in it to place the bead. So a frong loaded kiln is a must. I tryed several kilns front loaded with a beaddoor and I thats what I suits me.

I have not been fusing before but I thought I buy a kiln that I could do that in so I can make my own cabochons for my beadembroidery and wirework. It seems stupid to buy a kiln without taking that into the equation.

The kiln Kristina Logan uses in the klip looks good. Its bigger then the Paragon SC2 Ive been leaning towards so far. My priority is bead annealing and service is important. Paragon is from the USA and Beadcube is Brittish. That puts the Beadcube ahead. I will look in to the Beadcube thoroughly. =) .   

JH

This topic has really caught my eye.

So much argy barging!

Just buy a kiln that you think will suit you and do you own research on them as you will only have yourself to blame.

Buy bigger than what you think you need now.

Buy a kiln that will fire hotter than you require, as less strain on the elements as they are made out of heavier gauge wire so they will last longer.

My pottery friends & glass blowers, fusers use high fire pottery kilns.

Hobbyists tend to use what they are told/advised to use. Do your own research well, and use this a a learning curve.

JH

Pauline

for what it's worth I bought a 2nd hand SC3 with a plain door.  this was a pain to garage anneal as I had to cut down my mandrels to fit in diagonally....but... it fused beautiffully and was fairly even throughout and I could get 2 shelves in so could do more coasters etc in one firing.  because I am really a lampworker I bought a bead door and had great service for paragon kilns uk, they ordered it for me and it was with me postage free within a week I think.  I fitted it myself using one of the many videos available from the company.  this has made bead annealing better but fusing is not so good because the area near the bead door is definitely cooler.
I would now also like to experiment with things bigger than 4 or 5 inches in any direction.