Cleaning the ports on a Lynx?

Started by garishglobes, December 20, 2013, 10:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

I've acquired a Lynx... but it came without anything to clean the holes out and they really could do with a clean! I've got the little pointy tool thing that came with my Bobcat but it seems too big for these holes. I ended up pulling a thin beading needle apart the other day and using that but it is bendy and not easy to use - would anyone have a better suggestion??

jammie

yep i bought a set of welding torch pics which are perfect i was having a lot of trouble getting my bobcat clean and they did the job I think I have a s et but not sure where they are but theyre just a couple of quid, i'll go and find the link for you x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BU5XIJE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steampunkglass

Well that's handy as likewise I've not got anything to clean my Lynx with so I've never got around to cleaning it

So, how does this cleaning malarkey work then? Blast through some oxygen to help push any grot out while wiggling one of these in the jets???  ??? ??? ???

jammie

yep that's about it,the central port needs the most cleaning I've found and sometimes the little oxygen ports, the slits, get bunged up but the thinnest in the welding tool will go into these a bit. I was in despair over mine I could not get it cleaned out but these sorted it as there is a variety of wires from really thin to thick, I had a bit of glass that finally got dislodged and it works great now, but it needs regularly cleaned to keep the flame right.  :)

garishglobes

Oh, thank you!  ;D ;D Those look perfect.

Glenn, I've always found the GTT torches need an occasional clean. I just run the wire in to the hole and then give the torch a bit of oxygen and a quick (gentle!) tap.

Steampunkglass

Ta for that, great link, ordered one of those little tools already, I sometimes give a light tap (but not too hard as I don't want to dent it) to the top of the torch when running which seems to knock the worst of any build up away, but it'll be good to give it a proper clean

jammie

Kaz

I just scrub mine with a wire brush every now and then. Used for about 4 years with no probs!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Shirley

I've got glass stuck in my bobcat at the moment. Makes for a nice reducing flame, I must say. Has anyone tried the trick of plunging the hot torch into water to clear glass?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

beadammed

I think Sal mentioned something about that before
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

Shirley

Quote from: beadammed on December 20, 2013, 08:25:37 PM

Yes, she did. I just wondered whether anyone had tried it after she mentioned it, being a bit scared to do it myself :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

I think Julie's done this a few times ;D
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Pat from Canvey

After I saw the post about the welding torch pics on 20th, I ordered a set and believe it or not, they arrived yesterday 21st. Did a quick clean this morning and can already see an improvement, so thanks Jammie.

Lotti

Quote from: Shirley on December 20, 2013, 09:38:08 PM
Quote from: beadammed on December 20, 2013, 08:25:37 PM

Yes, she did. I just wondered whether anyone had tried it after she mentioned it, being a bit scared to do it myself :D

I have done it and it works (but was very nervous about it!). :)

garishglobes

Pat, mine arrived yesterday too!  ;D ;D