hallmarking

Started by jammie, November 03, 2013, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammie

We have a fair on Sat, Ewans made a few bangles that are over the 7.8 weight and so will need hallmarking, we wont have time to get it done before the fair. I've read that itsa legal thing to have a hallmark, but that if you sell as white metal its ok, and also that the need to hallmark was being changed. Can anyone tell me the up to date rules and regs for selling sterling silver over the weight

Shirley

I think the white metal thing is right. Don't forget to display the hall marking notice for your other items, though. As far as changing regs I have no idea. Would be interested to know, though.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mizgeorge

If you have any sterling pieces (even just clasps) which are described as such, you must, as Shirley says, display an up to date dealers notice.

As for overweight pieces, you can sell them as white metal, but I've never had a problem getting hallmarked pieces back within a working week, so it might be worth just sending them in.

I have a feeling that if there are to be any changes to hallmarking regulations, it will be to reduce, rather than increase the allowed weight before marking is mandatory, as has already been done in Ireland.