Basic Small Kiln fusing schedule with out an automatic timer...Help

Started by Firo, October 28, 2013, 09:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firo

Just used my EFCO 135 for the first time and all the pieces I had in it have cracked. I used a pyrometer and followed some instructions I found  but obviously they were wrong. :(
I'm trying to fuse small earrings and pendants with diachroic and bullseye glass so if anyone can help give me firing times, temps and soak times in a simple for I'd appreciate the help. I do not have an automatic system so I need to set the kiln myself.
Thanks in anticipation

Zeldazog

Is it possible your glass was incompatible?  Small pieces can usually cope with fast firings. 

Glyn Burton

What were the cracks like? did the pieces fuse but have sharp cracks if so they are cooling cracks so you need to slow your cooling down.
If the glass cracked on heating the edges of the crack would be softened and rounded in which case slow down your initial heating.
It could be that as Zeldazog suggests your glass was incompatible but I think a more likely problem would be too rapid cooling, I don't know the EFCO135 but small kilns tend to cool very rapidly so consider building in a more controlled cool between 500 and 100.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Firo on October 28, 2013, 09:15:29 AM

I'm trying to fuse small earrings and pendants with diachroic and bullseye glass so if anyone can help give me firing times, temps and soak times in a simple for I'd appreciate the help. I do not have an automatic system so I need to set the kiln myself.

You can find fusing schedules for a variety of glass here, also check out Bullseye Glass for their tip sheets.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=12.0

Firo

The pieces looked perfect untll I removed them and saw the cracks! As I touched them they disintegrated into pieces  :(

Pat from Canvey

Was the dichro the same COE as the Bullseye glass, i.e. COE 90?

Warm Glass UK

Firo

Thank you all. I think the problem was I heated too quickly rather than in stages. Think I'll have to invest in an automatic controls rather than sitting by the kiln all day  :(