Sore thumb? (probable newbie issue!)

Started by Jane C ♫, October 23, 2013, 09:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane C ♫

I got overexcited and made twice as many little beads as usual a few days ago (20 instead of 10), and now feel like I have strained one of the tendons in my thumb ... it's a bit tingly and hurts to grip things ...

Is this normal? Are there any big technique things I should be aware of or did I just do waaay too many and should go back to increasing my stamina gradually?!

*am resting it*  :(

Thanks!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

tinker

Sounds like either RSI or a sprain, its probably because your hand isn't used to the position - rest and anti inflamatories if it gets too bad - yep I've done it too ;)

Jane C ♫

Aww thanks Kat! At least I got my challenge beads done ...  ;D
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I seem to remember having something like that when I first started, could be my hypochondriacal imagination though!!!!

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: Donna@Rockin' Beads on October 24, 2013, 04:23:28 PM
I seem to remember having something like that when I first started, could be my hypochondriacal imagination though!!!!

:D  Me too!

flame n fuse

I got 'sunburn' as well when I first started.

Pauline

look at your position and technique, was it your "glass" hand or "mandrel" hand, were you holding too tightly, did you have your elbows supported, were your wrists at an awkward angle if so you may need to raise or lower the height of your torch.  is your bench to low or chair to high making you stoop to far and put your neck in too protracted a position.  "Tingly" as in pins and needles normally indicates nerve compression either in muscle spasm, tissue inflamation or as they emerge form your spine for example.  the chances are that it is simply doing more than normal but if it recurs it is better to find the cause and prevent it happening again than to simply mend the damage.

Margram

Great advice Pauline. I often get a sore neck so should review what I do! Trouble is, once the torch is on you forget everything else and just want to melt, melt, melt  ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Jane C ♫

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Pauline. It was my mandrel hand, and I think I was having trouble with gripping the thinner mandrels. Also did my first two 5mm mandrel beads that day so I think I just wore myself out!
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Pauline

Quote from: Jane C ♫ on October 28, 2013, 08:46:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Thanks Pauline. It was my mandrel hand, and I think I was having trouble with gripping the thinner mandrels. Also did my first two 5mm mandrel beads that day so I think I just wore myself out!

good hope its on the mend

Jane C ♫

Thanks Pauline. It's nearly back to normal now ... might dare to make another bead or two a bit later in the week  ;D
Lampwork Beginner!
Website