Problems with my flame - is it the cold weather?

Started by Lush!, November 15, 2007, 07:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

I've had some rotten problems with my flame today and even ended up going back to the shop for a new bottle of gas - but the man checked it and said its probably still nearly half full.

But the flame went out on me about 3 times  :(

I keep the bottle outside with the pipe threaded through a hole drilled in the door.  My "studio" is a lean-to porch thingie so what with the heavy frost this morning and no heating in the porch, the hose and torch were very chilly when I started today - could the problem be due to the cold?

Or a torch problem?

Or the regulator?  I've found the markings underneath the turnie part, I've got it set on the centre line, 30 psi I think ?

Any ideas gratefully received!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

MangoBeads

Try turning the regulator up see if that makes any difference - how frustrating and such a waste of time . >:(

Redhotsal

Hmmm....sounds odd? Is it possible you have some kind of blockage in the torch?

Lush!

I'll definitely have a fiddle with the regulator tomorrow, although I haven't changed it since my last session two days ago when I had no problems at all  ???

Sal - that's kind of what the man at the shop suggested, but how would I check?

Bluebottle

It will be the cold, try putting some lagging on the gas bottle or moving it where it will possibly get a bit more sun  ??? or move it inside if your workplace is a porch type it probably won't hurt for a short period HTH

Mike 

Redhotsal

You can probably unscrew the hothead from the adaptor that goes into the propane hose (standard 1 inch right hand thread). When you've got it off try blowing through the torch to see if you can dislodge anything - maybe give it a shake and a tap - if you have a compressed air source that would be better - you could maybe take the torch to your local plumbers merchant or welding shop and get them to check it out.
Also check the main hosing by shaking and tapping it. Sometimes it is possible for a large chunk of glass to fall down into the torch. This would explain the problems.

glassworks

propane will freeze and get thicker when heading towards zero temp... that is why people use butane in winter on boats etc.. try insulating it - even an insulated "box" will help..

Jolanda

Quote from: glassworks on November 16, 2007, 09:32:17 AM
propane will freeze and get thicker when heading towards zero temp... that is why people use butane in winter on boats etc.. try insulating it - even an insulated "box" will help..

Or place your bulk inside... Mine are inside all the time...

Lush!

Hey Sal, I'm a big girl now - minnow and oxycon, don'cha know  ;)

Right then, I'm going to turn up the regulator, shake my hose and clean my torch, and I'm bring the bottle in and put it under the table - and then I can even put the plug of wood back in the hole in the door that my dad drilled to poke the hose through and have warm toes as well - or maybe I'll just end up blowing the house up!

Thanks everybody  :D

glassworks

you've seen our place, propane cylinders all over the shop - use a bit of common sense and everything will be fine.. one safety thing is to turnt he CYLINDER off when you are done for the day, that way even forgetting to fully tighten your torch valves will not mean you make the back pages of the sun....

;D ;)

Redhotsal

Quote from: Bluebottle_25 on November 16, 2007, 09:44:27 AM
Hey Sal, I'm a big girl now - minnow and oxycon, don'cha know  ;)

'kin' heck - no I didn't know that! (super dense in the thinking department today!)
You know what - I doubt it is the cold, it's not really cold enough yet to cause those sort of problems. Is the flame shape odd in any way - asymmetrical or strange shape? If it is I'm willing to bet it some sort of blockage.
Does the Minnow have a similar face to the Minor? Can you get a small wire into the nozzles to clean it? (Not while it's on - yes, I've actually done that - actually wondered why the wire caught fire for a couple of seconds before running around the shed like a headless chicken).....hmmm....perhaps I shouldn't be dispensing advice...?

*rowanberry*

I got a welding torch cleaning wire dooda on eBay, its a collection on different sized wies with *very* slight abbrasive texture on it that you stick down your nozzles (sounds painful). Twas only £2, I recommend it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Welding-Nozzle-Cleaners_W0QQitemZ320181909476QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64818QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Claire

*rowanberry*

while i am thinking about it - i swear I saw insulating jackets for propane bottles in the garden centre the other day?
Claire

Maikki

Sometimes when it is cold here (cold, meaning -20 -25 Celcius degrees or something like that) it helps a bit to put the bottle on the low stool or similar. Then cold from the floor won´t  rise to the bottle.

Edit: So I am having the bottle inside all the time, and the bottle gets cold only when it is very cold outside and door is a little open because of ventilation!
Maija-Leena

Lush!

Right then, it gets worse  :(

I've cleaned my torch (I actually got a cleaning kit with it, I just hadn't got round to using it yet!).  I've tried the regulator fully open, fully closed and settled on keeping it in the middle.  I haven't brought the bottle in yet cos its not as cold as yesterday (and nowhere near as cold as it gets in Finland!!) but I just can't get a proper flame at all today.

It appears to be something to do with the oxygen now.

If I just turn on the propane I get a lovely bushy healthy looking flame, but I can't get proper pressure out of the oxycon and if I try and open the oxygen valve too far it just blows out the flame.

I'm at work the next three days and was looking forward to a couple of beady hours this afternoon, I don't know whether to shout or sob  :'(