over coming cool spots

Started by Trudi, October 19, 2013, 08:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Hi

I fuse in my sc2 with kiln door. I don't have a problem fusing, but when I'm slumping the piece nearest the door doesn't slump as well. Do I need to slightly increase the temp and or increase the hold time?

I do have two or three pieces in at the same time. And to try and minimize heat loss I do have a fibre blanket up against the door (on the outside)

Thank you x

Angie

That's why I ended buying a clamshell glass kilns here the elements are overhead and give even heat x
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

Angie

...you can never have too many kilns!
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

June

Indeed!  I got a firebox 14  :)

Hamilton Taylor

This is the problem with front loaders - and of course you have a bead door which leaks heat too.
You could try extra insulation in the form of some fibre blanket on the inside of the door - but ultimately, a top loading fusing kiln is the answer. You now you want to!  ;D

Sean

Jane C ♫

One of my friends did some tests on a SC2 with a pyrometer and found that the heat was nearly 100 degrees less near the door than it was at the back!!!

My thought would be to slump your smaller bits nearer the front, and that might even things out a bit. Lining the door with extra blanket might work too - having it on the inside will work better than on the outside.

PS How well does your bung fit? Mine is way out of true - the hole in the kiln and the hole in the metal casing don't line up at all!!!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Trudi

Hi there

I was discussing about adding more insulation inside the door .. I will try that option first!

Thank you!

T x

Glyn Burton

I agree with Angie you cant have too many kilns, although I shocked myself by giving one away this week I must have had a sudden rush of blood to the head.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Trudi, definitely insulate inside the door, my bead kiln a jen ken has a slot for beads but there is insulation on the inside of the door and a brick to fit into the slot. I often forgot to put the brick in but the insulation helps. I suspect you could carve a brick to fit your slot as well

Trudi

I've cut out a thick piece of fibre blanket (As I had some kicking around) and I'll insulate both inside and out and see how that goes. The kiln shelf seems to be keeping it in place ... fingers crossed!

I noticed the issue more with slumping than fusing (!) so next time I slump (not me literally lol) I'll see how that goes!

But I'll keep in mind the tip about the beick Tan x

qwirkyglass

You could also work higher in the kiln, recently did some fusing in mums sc2, and i just stacked the shelves on enough kiln props that they were above the bead hole, then they were fine :)

Pat from Canvey

Thaks for that. A very useful tip.

Pauline

Quote from: qwirkyglass on October 21, 2013, 08:49:15 PM
You could also work higher in the kiln, recently did some fusing in mums sc2, and i just stacked the shelves on enough kiln props that they were above the bead hole, then they were fine :)

it's an SC3 not an SC2  so has a bit more space above the bead door

qwirkyglass

Whoops, sorry.
But still, ive always found the finish is better the higher in the kiln that you work, unless its a flatbed, then work in the middle
ill be quiet now :)