Main Menu

Disks

Started by emvee, August 17, 2013, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emvee

Hi, I'm having problems making disks. I either don't put enough or too much glass on and they always look bumpy?? Any tips would be great . Thanks

Kaz

Six years of beadmaking and I still can't make a great disk bead!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

jammie

hmm, Helen's got a really good disc tutorial on etsy!

helbels

What type of discs are you making?

With discs there's a VERY fine line between too much glass and not enough.  I think you are probably not getting that line quite right yet.  If the discs are bumpy it's usually because there are areas of the bead that haven't got enough glass in them (so those bits look like little dents), while other areas of the disc are actually just right.  Once you get the amount of glass to "nearly enough", then try just adding some small dots of glass to the disc, then melting in... so you are only adding a weeny bit more at a time, and see how you get on that way.

mizgeorge

I like making discs with commercial stringer - makes it very much easier for me as I'm cack-handed at adding little bits at a time!

emvee

Thanks for your replies. I'll try adding dots instead of going all way round. I'm using brass roller to make the shaped disks not the flat type.

Kaz

I did make these this weekend - it's a start!

IMG_2710 by Kaz ~ CheekyCherubDesigns, on Flickr

Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

petrahergarden

I think they look really nice!!

Lynnybobs

They remind me of the liquorice Catherine wheel sweets - lovely!
Lynnybobs
----x----

helbels

Wow Kaz, they are fabulous, love them (but then again, you never make anything I dislike!)

kerensky

Quote from: Lynnybobs on August 30, 2013, 12:48:24 PM
They remind me of the liquorice Catherine wheel sweets - lovely!

Just what I was thinking - l love Liquorice :-)

emvee

Kaz those are lovely.