Blow Pipe & Me Dizzy - Now Fixed

Started by Barnacle Bay, August 01, 2013, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Hi Folks,

Just received my little blow pipe and I have been testing it by just blowing down it, but it only has a real tiny amount of air coming out of it, and I'm getting a wee bit dizzy  :-\

I have now inspected the mouth piece hole size and it really is not as wide as a pin, should I make it slightly larger  ???

Thanks in advance,

Lou
x

Nicknack

I've only used a blow pipe mandrel once, and very nearly blew the glass out (just caught it in time).  You only need a tiny amount of air, about enough to resuscitate a mouse!  I expect someone else with more experience will get back to you with proper advice.

Nick

Barnacle Bay

Nick thanks for that, though I'm not sure if the amount of air would resuscitate a flee  :D

The hole size is approximately 0.1mm  ???

Feeling a bit woozy - feels like I've had a couple of glasses of vino could save me some money  :D

tinker

Do you have the slim Jim one? My eyes damn near exploded out me face first time I used it and still no shard! Try starting off with a small hollow. Once you have a wee bit of puff in there it does get easier.

♥♥Tan♥♥

You can actually still breathe while blowing down the tube so you don't get dizzy, put some air in your cheeks like a hamster and use that and just breathe through your nose

jammie

The hollow pipe is meant to be better than th slim jim...but i still get lightheaded trying to blow but dont think i have the technique down right!  ::)

Niki Gough

I have the slim jim and found the same first time I used it however I then started to breath through my nose and it helped. It is amazing how small an amount of puff you need to make the glass expand and I always start with a hollow. HTH x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: tinker on August 01, 2013, 11:04:46 PM
Do you have the slim Jim one? My eyes damn near exploded out me face first time I used it and still no shard! Try starting off with a small hollow. Once you have a wee bit of puff in there it does get easier.

Not sure what its called but its slim.

I will fill my cheeks like a Hamster & use the breathing techiques ;) 
If that doesn't work, I will eat loads of baked beans, stick it in another blow hole and fart like crazy, I may get enough extra heat to melt some borro   :D

Lilley

Is this to get the first bubble in?  If so then a couple of suggestions, you could try thumbing in like a glass blower does. So put your thumb in your mouth with the pipe with lips sealing all, blow into the pipe, cover the pipe end with thumb, take out of mouth - this should have put some air into the pipe and sealed it in there - then the heat from the pipe should expand the air and it has only one way to go - into the glass.  Once the bubble is started blowing the rest should be easier.  Or the other way to start a bubble for lampworking would be to wind the glass onto the end of the pipe such that you build a bubble into the glass - like you do when making a hollow bead, then make sure there are no holes in it, even it up and then blow
Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

Barnacle Bay

After a few trys and nothing with glass, tried blowing it in water & a very tiny bubble showed in the water - no wonder I was almost passing out, OH cut the end off so it now has a hole of the same diameter at both ends - and guess what... it is purfect really easy to blow and I blew a nice sized bubble first time and made these shards, should of cut the end off sooner!

Thanks for all your suggestions folks  ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 03, 2013, 06:26:55 PM
Hey they look great! ;D

He, he - cant wait to try them out as they do have a nice smudging of Kalypso & Triton on them  ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Ooo they are going to be a bit spesh then, have you plans or are you going to go with the flow?

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 03, 2013, 08:59:36 PM
Ooo they are going to be a bit spesh then, have you plans or are you going to go with the flow?

I'm just going to roll with it or in it - little kiln & gas on - check, tee minus 20 minutes and counting b4 I set myself loose, then shards away - & steady as she goes  :D

♥♥Tan♥♥