kiln keeps tripping the electric box

Started by Bubblebeads, July 28, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblebeads

got my new kiln up and running and was doing a batch annealing programme it had been on for an hour and then it tripped the electric fuse box off switched it on again and it did it again. Is there any one out there that could give me some advice please ...

Hamilton Taylor

did you just ask about this on FB?
Assuming you are not overloading the circuit that your kiln is on (with something else switching in at the same time as your kiln - tumble dryer, for example, would do it)
Some mcb's (fuse breakers) are designed to blow very fast - a kiln is an 'inductive load', which draws a great deal of current for a fraction of a second, as the relay switches on, then the load drops quickly to its rated value, but these fast mcb's are quick enough to catch the momentary high load, some of the time. You can get mcb's which are designed to be used with inductive loads, and so respond more slowly, letting the momentary high load through.
I suspect you have a fast breaker on this circuit - you can get it replaced (or even replace it yourself) with one designed for inductive loads.

Hope this helps, and solves your problem,

Sean

Bubblebeads

yes I was the one on Facebook and thank you I will look into this and hopefully get it sorted thanks a lot for the help..

Lee - Kilncare

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Lee - Kilncare

Hi Sean, I can see why a kiln would be mistakenly classed as an Inductive load as the elements are coiled and a good rule of thumb is that if something has a coil then it is inductive.
However, those types of coils are used to generate movement and so are very different to the coiled elements in a kiln which are used to generate heat.

It is all very complicated to explain but the bottom line is that kilns are RESISTIVE load and so do not have an increased starting current.

A 12amp kiln should never pull more than 12amps, it may pull a little less as the elements heat up and their resistance fluctuates.
Providing a MCB is correctly sized it should not be effected by the kiln starting.

However an RCD or "trip" is much more problematic as kilns are like sponges in that they suck moisture out of the atmosphere. This can create a slight leakage of electricity to the frame, not enough for you to feel or be dangerous.......but enough to blow out a trip.
Also this type of problem usually occurs after the kiln has been on for a while.
So my question about the kiln in question is, has it been stored unused for a period of time or is it in a damp outhouse etc.

Hope you don;t mind me pointing out the Inductive  - Resistive bit mate.

Lee

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Barnacle Bay

Which kiln have you got?
Just wondeing if you are using an extension lead as they can be nortorious for making the fuse box trip when using a kiln?
Or Hubby reckons too many spurs off your ring main (power points - plug sockets).

Hamilton Taylor

I stand (gladly) corrected.
Listen to Lee - he knows far better what he's talking about!

:)
Sean

Barnacle Bay

You could try another area in your property to see if the same problem occurs if it does consult a qualified electrician and for them to run a circuit test asap!

It might not be the kiln, but a fault/short in the general property wiring somewhere - best be safe than sorry  ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

My ceramic kiln does this if it has been sat around for a long time and is a bit damp, I do a slow warm through firing to dry everything out and then go from there.

Barnacle Bay

These kilns can be soo naughty they should get a good talking to & put in the naughty corner  ;D

Margram

;D ;D but when they are good, they are very, very good...
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog