Do you think it's the heat? Red light coming on

Started by firedinglass, July 14, 2013, 04:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

Before I bring my OxyCons into the house and proceed to take it to bits using Tan's fantastic tut( thankyou Tan!) I was wondering if the heat can affect the OxyCons. 
  Mine has been fine and is only 2years old , from Martin that is.  Today it decided to keep putting the red light on. My other slightly older one seems fine.  This one is a Devilbiss 492.
It is very very hot so I was thinking it might just be the heat, will probably still have a look inside it but  does the heat affect them?  ( as well as the damp......)   Is anyone else having similar problems in this weather?  :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Barnacle Bay

Personally, I had a similar problem a few months ago back, though I feel it was a cold issue and maybe humidity during the months of April to end of May, so I reckon heat, cold & humidity can play a naughty role.  Mine is ok at the mo, have left it where it is and it has settled - no more red lights at the moment.  Have you cleaned the filter lately - just a thought  ;)

Lou
x

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: firedinglass on July 14, 2013, 04:41:29 PM
Before I bring my OxyCons into the house and proceed to take it to bits using Tan's fantastic tut( thankyou Tan!) I was wondering if the heat can affect the OxyCons. 
  Mine has been fine and is only 2years old , from Martin that is.  Today it decided to keep putting the red light on. My other slightly older one seems fine.  This one is a Devilbiss 492.
It is very very hot so I was thinking it might just be the heat, will probably still have a look inside it but  does the heat affect them?  ( as well as the damp......)   Is anyone else having similar problems in this weather?  :)

Mine's going to 'low oxygen' when it's hot and been running for a couple of hours; is that the same as your red light?  I turn it off and leave it for a while and it'll do another hour or so, presuming it was the heat.  It can't be lack of air, it sits looking out of an open door with the only 2 windows in my shedio also open.  I've taken off the back filter, someone said theirs didn't have one and it would help but no difference. They also said theirs only ever ran on 'low oxygen'.   I'd previously cleaned the filter but was pretty clean.  Mine's a Devilbis from Martin as well.

Anyone any other thoughts?

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Barnacle Bay

A little leak somewhere & and not the type you would put cheese sause on  :)  Sorry the heat is getting to me  :D

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Barnacle Bay on July 14, 2013, 08:01:45 PM
A little leak somewhere & and not the type you would put cheese sause on  :)  Sorry the heat is getting to me  :D

But mine runs for 3-4 hours before I get the red light?  It's a recent, since we've seen sunshine, thing.

Is there a link to Tan's tut on disassembling?  I will need pics if I am going to take it apart.
Sue

Redhotsal

Yes, it's almost definitely the heat. they need a lot of space around them in this temperature and lots of fresh air in. The compressor gets hot anyway and the fan will be working flat out to keep everything cold. Not quite sure whats happening with yours (Blue Box) if it's getting lots of fresh air in - maybe worth checking the inlet (usually on the side) and pull off the foam filter. Just make sure they can "breathe" and if it's getting really really hot it may be worth checking that the fan is functioning okay. If it usually sits under a desk it may be worth pulling it out in the centre of the room or near an open door.

firedinglass

Mine. Is sitting under a desk and the other one , which seems to be OK is by the door, may have a quick look tomorrow but perhaps then it is the heat. Bluebox  Th link to tans tut is on the forum under OxyCons questions in a reply she gave, she posted it on crafpimp with lots of photos.  I can't link from here.  If you can't find it I'll go on my laptop and cut and paste link  :)

Lisa

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have the same setup as you, under desk oxys and they hate it on hot days so I let the poor lambs have a breather and leave them alone or just hoik them out into the kitchen so they can breathe but even then they find it a bit hot.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Redhotsal on July 14, 2013, 08:05:33 PM
Yes, it's almost definitely the heat. they need a lot of space around them in this temperature and lots of fresh air in. The compressor gets hot anyway and the fan will be working flat out to keep everything cold. Not quite sure whats happening with yours (Blue Box) if it's getting lots of fresh air in - maybe worth checking the inlet (usually on the side) and pull off the foam filter. Just make sure they can "breathe" and if it's getting really really hot it may be worth checking that the fan is functioning okay. If it usually sits under a desk it may be worth pulling it out in the centre of the room or near an open door.

It's usually under the desk, but since this happens it gets moved to the doorway and get to look at the garden.  Fan sounds normal, my inlet is on the top back with the foam in front so removed the foam at Pauline's suggestion.  Am hoping it is just the heat.  This heatwave promises to break by the end of the month so will take it easy until then and once it's cooler can test it out and see whether I should start worrying or not.

Thanks for the link.  Do they all look much the same inside - mine's a Devilbis.
Sue

firedinglass

Lisa

mizgeorge