Main Menu

DH help please

Started by Niki Gough, July 13, 2013, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki Gough

Sorry thought I had posted this earlier but can't find it!!

I made these yesterday but don't think they are right!! Am I over reducing them or something do you think?

From left to right they are Aion, Boreas, Aurea, Euros (not reduced), Euros (Reduced), Ossa, Psyche and Triton
EDIT: They are all on Ivory base.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Niki x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

Blue Box Studio

Might be the ivory?  My Triton and Psyche look like that on ivory.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lynniebeads

I've not played much nikki at all, it might be worth a look at dh website for instructions for each. I can never remember what each does & look it up before attempting. It's lovely seeing all your beads your doing so well  :) x
I also printed off info from the wiki to take to my torch xxx

lantana

I'm sure you know some are strikers and some reduce, and certain colours are great as a base for silver glass. I've not found ivory to be very good as a base, so maybe have a play with some transparent base colour? Or try small beads of each colour on it's own to get an idea of what they can do. There are a few threads on the forum about each colour, so it's worth having a root through for helpful info on each one. I haven't tried some of the one's shown, but find Aurae quite easy to work with. It looks great reduced and encased. In my experience of silver glass, it's an expensive and frustrating game! Sometimes you get an amazing bead, that you just can't re-create, however hard you try. I think you learn how to handle each colour, with plenty of mistakes along the way! :)

Niki Gough

Hi all,

Sue, thanks a lot for that at least I know they are ok then :)

Lynnie, thank you for the kind comment and yeah I have managed to get some tuts on some of them from the site but not all. Will have another look around.

Lantana, thank you for that, yes I have a list in the shed and these apparently are all reducers (haven't tried the strikers yet). Will try another base colour then, thank you. These were my small sort of test beads but thinking on it and reading your comments Ivory maybe wasn't the best choice knowing it was reactive - don't think I had my brain switched on when choosing, I blame the heat ;)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it x

Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Moira HFG

By the way, it may not be what they are supposed to be like, but I think they look really interesting. I love the rings in and around the Boreas, it's like a landscape.

Madam Steph

I like the unreduced Euros, Nikki

Linda x

katherinem

In my (limited) experience the DH glasses look really different on ivory depending on whether they are melted in or left raised. I haven't ever used all of the ones you show there, but when I melt in Triton and reduce it, it looks similar to yours, dark and shiny.

The aurea one with the raised dots looks over-reduced to me. The danger is when you get an orange glow, if you heat and reduce DH it will go nasty. Make sure your bead is nice and cool, not glowing, before you reduce. It's trial and error really, but I would recommend erring on under-reducing - stop when it looks shiny! Some of them, such as triton, can take more than others.

Oh, and if you have them, try helios or gaia on ivory, left raised, and gently reduced.  :)

Niki Gough

Thank you Linda I liked that one as well :)

Thanks Katherine I will give it another go and will have to get a rod of those and try them thank you x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts