Kiln valuation

Started by Grody, June 28, 2013, 10:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grody

Out of the blue, I've been whacked over the head by a demand for a divorce from my wife of 33 years. Not here to whine but I'm readjusting my view of the future now and living arrangements will be very different.

It seems unlikely at the moment that I'll be able to hang onto my trusty Hobbyfuser but may be able to trade down to a small Skutt (living in a caravan seems like a distinct possibility) so letting go of the Hobbyfuser will mean selling. I know what I paid for it 4 years or so ago but how on earth do you/can you value a kiln? There isn't a "KilnTrader" website to go to for a current value so how does one do it???

Any thoughts?

(and Yes, before you ask, this IS the one I accidentally burned a piece of Contiboard inside - see post in the Tools section - but honestly, there is no damage!! OK Tan, you can stop giggling now!)

Pat from Canvey

I haven't got a clue Grody but just wanted to say sorry about your news. Just get a good divorce lawyer and you may find no need for a caravan.

Octavia

Sorry to hear your news  :(

There has recently been a thread on kiln valuations, not sure if you've seen it, maybe it could help you?
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41955.0

June

Sorry to hear your news

Blue Box Studio

No idea bout kiln values either, but sorry for your news.  There is life after but I expect it doesn't feel like that now :(  Definitely get a good lawyer on your side and make it clear at the start you do not fancy a caravan!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Shades of Colour

Hope the previous thread helps, its helped me as I know have a rough idea to give mediation.  My ex is question that my kiln is an asset and worth over £500.00, i've only got a SC2!!!  Agree with the good divorce solicitor but they don't come cheap.  Mines already taken nearly £2,500 off me and doesn't seem to have done anything :-(  I'm definately in the wrong profession!!!  Good luck with everything

Alison
www.facebook.com/shadesofcolourjewellery

Moira HFG

Sorry to hear your news, what a nasty surprise that must have been.

I've been haunting all sites selling secondhand equipment over the last 12 months, as I've been setting up my studio.
I'd recommend searching 'electric kiln' on ebay, Preloved and Gumtree, to see current prices. From what I've seen, kilns sell from between half their original price up to nearly the new price - especially SC2s on ebay, I think people get carried away! Bigger fusing kilns seem to go cheaper than bead annealing kilns.

I'm afraid it's a bit of a buyers' market right now - I suspect people are keeping money for holidays. So if you can, I'd hang on to your kiln for a few months.

Good luck for the future,
Moira

Grody

Thanks everyone - you are being very sweet. I didn't post for that but I appreciate your supportive comments. As for lawyers, we have said we'll do it by agreement if poss and have made appointment with mediators to reach a conclusion. Only then will we set the dogs loose and watch the bills tot up. Interestingly, as Legal Aid seems to have just about disappeared for Matr. stuff now, the Sol I've talked to says they will offer me a Fixed Price deal to make all the agreements binding and execute all the paperwork. Talking £500-£800 total. Very surprised.

Back to kilns! Yes, maybe about half price seems OK but then I'll prob use Fleabay but would need to set a reserve to avoid being cleaned out by a single bidder. Hmmm - lessons we have to learn that we didn't expect to have to, eh???

Thanks all - I feel supported, even though I'll prob never meet any of you F2F.
xx

June

If you do have to sell it, it may be worth asking on here first  ;) :)

Les

I'm sorry I can't be of any help, Grody, but I just wanted to say that I hope things pick up for you sometime soon ... darkest night is before the dawn, so they say .... Good Luck !

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: June on June 28, 2013, 09:28:17 PM
If you do have to sell it, it may be worth asking on here first  ;) :)
Certainly a very good idea - though, fleabay is a good idea, as money is very tight & I have seen some beauties selling for p-nuts, that may be the option to value your kiln that is if you want to hold onto it, as it is only worth what someone is prepared to give for it ;)

Hope everything pans out for you - but please heed, try and sort everyting out - mediation will cut into your assets, you both MUST talk, don't let they lawyers make money via dragging it out - My divorce 15 yrs ago (and I did my own divorce up to the decree absolute for £40.00, 3 solicitors quoted £950 to £1250.00).
the only thing I could not do was the financial part, though now I am sure I could have!
- solicitors costs £27,500.00, though partner at time had to pay the majority as it was proved that they were not playing ball and dragging things out - so do be careful  ;)

Zeldazog

Contact Lee at Kilncare, they sometimes advertise on behalf of prior customers - albeit the larger kilns, but he will most certainly have a clue as to what the going price is I'd expect.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Grody on June 28, 2013, 09:13:50 PM
Talking £500-£800 total. Very surprised.

Bargain!  Mine cost £4500 - but my ex refused to talk to me because I was 'slightly' rude about his mistresses, although he had only left me for one of them.  Talking would have been good.  He instructed his solicitor to only reply to mine after they had sent 3 letters for information, which rather ups the bills a bit.  I am still saving my Green Shield Stamps for that steam roller ........
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Grody

OK, what's coming across is that we clearly need a "Divorce Pain" sub-forum on here!

Keep it up - all you're experiences are making me feel much better! :)

jeannette

I paid 800 for my second hand hobbyfuser on eBay. You will be surprised how many people are looking for a kiln like that. I lost out on a couple more of them. Mine was allegedly 6 years old, and fired a few times. It was perfect when I got it. I was happy with that.

Sorry about the divorce...not sure I can contribute!