beadsmith tools

Started by Lilacpixie, June 22, 2013, 08:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilacpixie

Has anyone used beadsmith branded tools for beadmaking?

I've not seen them in the UK but looking at the beadsmith wholesale site them appear to have 'glass making tools' mandrels and rakes, textured marvers, mashers, tool rests graphite paddles etc

I just wondered if anyone hd used them as if they are decent I will treat myself with my next shop order

Madam Steph

I use the Beadsmith bead reamer, (although ( have a Dremel and Tuffies old blue one), the main reason being that most of my beads are made on 1.6 mandrels, and usually it's hard to locate 1.6 reamers that fit either, even withstanding collets etc.
With my Beadsmith, I can get them anytime.

Linda x

garishglobes

Many years ago now, my first foray into lampworking was a Fireworks kit from the US. The torch lasted a week (it was truly awful!), the tools a little longer - but they weren't good quality at all. Looking at the tools on the Beadsmith site, I'd say they are the same thing. The torch certainly is! I'd say you'll get a lot better from any UK lampwork supplier  ;)

sea-thistle

Quote from: garishglobes on June 23, 2013, 09:12:28 AM
Many years ago now, my first foray into lampworking was a Fireworks kit from the US. The torch lasted a week (it was truly awful!), the tools a little longer - but they weren't good quality at all. Looking at the tools on the Beadsmith site, I'd say they are the same thing. The torch certainly is! I'd say you'll get a lot better from any UK lampwork supplier  ;)

I had one of those too!! The torch was blooming awful I got rid of straight away! lol

Beckyboo17

Afternoon

I have beadsmith tools for jewellery making as I did this before I started to attempt lampworking. They are great tools and good quality, although I have not seen or know anything about their glass tools I'd be interested to see if they are the same quality.  :D

Calico Cat

Assuming your supplier is Helby, I would steer very clear of the lampworking tools - the jewellery and kumihimo stuff is excellent but I think the lampwork stuff is very dodgy.

I took them to task about the safety specs they supply and questioned their suitability - at their prices ($5.99 retail) they cannot possibly be didymium - I suspect they are glass cutting safety specs.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .