Which kiln would you recommend?

Started by The Tartan Trout, June 08, 2013, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tartan Trout

I am really starting to struggle with the size of my Prometheus 7 and so am looking at buying one a bit bigger. I have narrowed it down to 2. I would love to afford myself the luxury of buying one colour co ordinated but I am being good and ignoring the colour....for now ;) Even though I would LOVE a red  or purple one :) So my 2 choices are maxi/maxine and the Paragon Bluebird. Yes there is a difference in price but I need to make sure this is right. So what would you choose or have chosen and why?

On a side note my Prometheus 7 with bead door will be going up for sale. It is 2 1/2 years old and always run wonderfully, how do i work out what it's saleable value is? And does anyone want it? ;)

I look forward to all your words of wisdom

Sarah x

Calico Cat

Personally, a Maxi/Maxine - made in UK with all the excellent support from Kilncare  ;D

I've had mine for a couple of years ( having upgraded from a bead cube ) and have been very happy with it.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Krysia@No98

As devils advocate, why sell and buy a new one, why not get a second kiln?  This will mean if (god forbid) one of them stops working you will still have a back up.  It could also mean you could have one for am and a second for pm, when the PM session is finished the am kiln will be cool enough to clean?  If you are having a small session you will be sending less on electric?

If I was going for a second kiln, I would pick one from kiln care, the after sales service is second to none.  I have heard of people having problems and having parts out to fix them same day.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

The Tartan Trout

That idea is good Krysia except I need the money from the sale of the existing to go towards the new one.

Madam Steph

I was struggling with the size of my SC2 with bead door, Sarah.
I was lucky enough to buy a second hand Maxi in perfect condition, on here a couple of months ago for £400, intending to sell my SC2.
I have decided to keep both though.
The smaller one is fine for if I don't intend having a long session, and as I'm going to start fusing classes in a couple of weeks time, it will be essential for that and also metal clays.
I would not be without my Maxi now either. So much more room.
If you possibly can keep both, it's a great idea in case of failure of either.

Linda x

Kaz

I have a Maxine here and a Bluebird in Oz. Without a shadow of doubt, the Maxine is the far superior kiln. The quality is much better and the programmer is easy to operate. I also like the holey mesh at the back to rest mandrels on which the Bluebird doesn't have and I ended up with some scuffed beads. Dealing with Lee is very easy and customer care is exceptional. Plus you could also buy a bead cube later and swap the controller between the two.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

MangoBeads

Quote from: Kaz on June 08, 2013, 09:48:05 PM
I have a Maxine here and a Bluebird in Oz. Without a shadow of doubt, the Maxine is the far superior kiln. The quality is much better and the programmer is easy to operate. I also like the holey mesh at the back to rest mandrels on which the Bluebird doesn't have and I ended up with some scuffed beads. Dealing with Lee is very easy and customer care is exceptional. Plus you could also buy a bead cube later and swap the controller between the two.
Kazx

Ditto have both and the maxi / Maxine is so much better and it's UK ...no contest ):

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Madam Steph on June 08, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
and as I'm going to start fusing classes in a couple of weeks time, it will be essential for that
Linda x

I thought the same thing when I started fusing, I can do stuff in my kiln at home!  The reality of that situation is I have been going to classes for ...erm... three/four years I haven't yet used the kiln at home but am slowly saving for a big flat bed kiln. I think I am almost at 7% of the cost of the kiln and then there will be VAT and delivery to save for...  ;)  ::)

silkworm

Quote from: Krysia@No98 on June 09, 2013, 09:58:45 AM
Quote from: Madam Steph on June 08, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
and as I'm going to start fusing classes in a couple of weeks time, it will be essential for that
Linda x

I thought the same thing when I started fusing, I can do stuff in my kiln at home!  The reality of that situation is I have been going to classes for ...erm... three/four years I haven't yet used the kiln at home but am slowly saving for a big flat bed kiln. I think I am almost at 7% of the cost of the kiln and then there will be VAT and delivery to save for...  ;)  ::)

So glad I am not in the only one. I have been going to fusing classes for over two years and only finally did some cabs for earrings at home a few weeks ago!
Mary

Pat from Canvey

There's always the option of hiring space in a local studio's kiln for larger pieces.

Zeldazog

Quote from: The Tartan Trout on June 08, 2013, 06:32:32 PM
I am really starting to struggle with the size of my Prometheus 7 and so am looking at buying one a bit bigger. I have narrowed it down to 2. I would love to afford myself the luxury of buying one colour co ordinated but I am being good and ignoring the colour....for now ;) Even though I would LOVE a red  or purple one :)

Not to put temptation in your way, but I am sure I saw on the Kilncare facebook page the other day, a bright green version of the maxi/maxine and them saying they're going to offer it in  range of colours....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151537512924733&set=a.451917754732.239157.238801689732&type=1&theater

Moira HFG

Oh, that's nice!

Er, just wondering; has anyone ever tried painting their kiln with Hammerite? It works on motorcycle frames, and they get pretty warm.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: Moira HFG on June 09, 2013, 06:45:17 PM
Oh, that's nice!

Er, just wondering; has anyone ever tried painting their kiln with Hammerite? It works on motorcycle frames, and they get pretty warm.

When I used to drag race & build engines big block V8 engines, I used high temp engine paint which I now believe come in a range of colours  ;)

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on June 09, 2013, 05:55:35 PM
There's always the option of hiring space in a local studio's kiln for larger pieces.

I go to 'classes' at the local uni.  To be fair they are increditbly reasonably priced and they will let you hire the 1x1.5 m kiln for something like £20 for a firing, but you also have to hire the studio so that you have space to construct your work.

I also want my own kiln  ;)

I forgot to also say that part of the reason I am moving house is to have space for this kiln  ::)

Madam Steph

Quote from: Krysia@No98 on June 09, 2013, 07:39:38 PM
Quote from: Pat from Canvey on June 09, 2013, 05:55:35 PM

I go to 'classes' at the local uni.  To be fair they are increditbly reasonably priced and they will let you hire the 1x1.5 m kiln for something like £20 for a firing, but you also have to hire the studio so that you have space to construct your work.

I also want my own kiln  ;)

I forgot to also say that part of the reason I am moving house is to have space for this kiln  ::)

Krysia..snap!

I just KNOW when I start (and I know it will suit me), I will want to have my own kiln for that, and also in the next few years we shall be moving, and Tom is already sounding out the agents for somewhere with something suitable for my hobby. Meanwhile Pat...I'm going to Caroline for the classes, so I daresay I will be able to sort something out at Barleylands.
Sarah..re the purple kiln..I know that the Paragon kilns now come in purple, the Maxine's in green now, and I bet that Lee will probably be extending his colours now too

Linda x