Flame was working then started to "Gust" & blow out?

Started by RockRingLady, May 30, 2013, 09:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockRingLady

Hello - I have been quietly practising lampworking ....all alone :-(

However, I am struggling so felt I had to ask if anyone could help.  My flame was working well until today when the Oxycon lights flashed up 'service needed" & the flame seemed to gust (move away from the nozzle) and the blow out.  I have tested pressure on Oxycon - fine and yet can't turn it up beyond 1 or 2 without Propane being knocked out.  Looks a goos flame at about 1cm big!  Not sure if the Propane regulator knob needs adjusting?  Bottle of propane still full & propane flame fine.  I can't believe it needs a service as only done about 30 hours since Martin sold me a "new' one?

Any ideas....just when I was enjoying it too!

Thanks,

Heidi :-)

cbeadies

:( sorry, I don't know is causing the problem, hopefully someone else will be able to suggest a solution. It may be worth ringing Martin Tuffnell tomorrow, I expect he would give good advice.

It is so frustrating when things go wrong isn't it! Hope you can get torching again soon.

flame n fuse

was the gusty flame yellow, or blue?

If it was blue, could it be that your flame is starved of propane and was being overwhelmed by the oxygen? I have it open nearly full at the propane tank, and then adjust the amount of propane feeding the flame by using the valve on the torch.

my oxycon flashes service needed when I have been using it a loooooong time, or when I have upset it by quickly changing pressure.

CarrieH

If my propane is too high when I turn the oxygen on it tends to blow out (I'm on a Bobcat).  I need a flame of no longer than about 3 inches of propane and then I turn the oxygen knob quite slowly until it is fully on.  Then I adjust the propane to get the right flame.
Carrie x
www.CarrieandCo.folksy.com
www.carriehartshorn.etsy.com

Calico Cat

Quote from: CarrieH on May 31, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
If my propane is too high when I turn the oxygen on it tends to blow out (I'm on a Bobcat).  I need a flame of no longer than about 3 inches of propane and then I turn the oxygen knob quite slowly until it is fully on.  Then I adjust the propane to get the right flame.
Carrie x

Have the same with my Lynx - think most GTT torches behave like that

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

RockRingLady

Thank you for interacting - all of you.  OH has spoken with Martin & has done all he suggested but it still won't work.  I fear it will have tbr to Martin to be sorted - shame when I was enjoying making pretty beads!

Have a fab weekend & thanks again.  (If we solve it I'll let you know!)

flame n fuse