Edible silver / gold leaf

Started by babyshoes, May 28, 2013, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyshoes

I've seen some edible 100% pure silver and gold leaf on ebay for what look like reasonable (not stupidly low) prices - £6.99 for 100 sheets of silver. Will these play nicely with glass? Has anyone tried it? Here's the link to the silver - the same seller has gold too... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Real-Silver-Leaf-Leaves-pure-999-1000-edible-/250952284223?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item3a6debf83f

Gordon

Doesn't that work out dearer than Tuffnel's silver leaf. Each book from Tuffnells has 25 sheets approx 9cm X 9cm = 2025 sq cms @ £6.50 = 0.3p per sq cm where as 100 sheet of 3 cm X 3 cm  @ £6.99 = 0.77p per sq cm ( over twice as much )

Shirley

I don't know that seller, but I remember sharing a book of 'gold' that turned out not to be, bought from overseas in an attempt to save money.

I have silver leaf, silver foil and gold leaf in my shop www.valcoxfrituk.com , and when I priced them I calculated my prices in exactly the same way that Gordon has worked out his comparison - square cm so that I could be competitive with other UK suppliers.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

babyshoes

Hadn't done the maths in terms of sq cm, to be honest - just thought it looked like a reasonable price for 100 sheets. Wasn't thinking about the SIZE of the sheets, and the Tuffnells website doesn't specify the size of the sheets so I guess I assumed they were a standard size or something... Doh!  ::)

Barnacle Bay

I bought some recently - 24ct edible though came on transfer - no - no - no  :o

Kaz

Like Shirley, I was caught in the past with something that definitely was not silver as it turned to ashes in the bead! Don't do it!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Glyn Burton

Try Wights of Lymn for gold and silver leaf.

Lynniebeads

I got mine from tuffnels and not finished a book yet ( lampworking since sept 11).I would go for quality not quantity.
Lynne.

Calico Cat

Quote from: Glyn Burton on May 29, 2013, 08:17:02 PM
Try Wights of Lymn for gold and silver leaf.

I just got some from them - excellent service.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .