Very thin mandrel

Started by micpru, April 28, 2013, 09:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micpru

Does anyone know where I can get some Mandrels slightly thinner than 1.6mm? X
Michaela x

babyshoes

My first thought is ebay - look for 316 grade stainless steel welding rod. Not sure what sizes it comes in, but there seems to be a good range of sizes on there. You may need to cut it to size and round off the ends slightly with a file or grinder.

JKC

Locally welding rods are only available in 1.6 and 2.4 and you have to buy a whole tube of them, which is expensive.  Someone in the US sells 1mm ones, can't remember who though. Janet

JKC

Just looked on ebay, they are way cheaper than I paid on there and they have 1mm.  In fact one company is selling 3 sizes for a price cheaper than my supplier.  living in the Highlands is costly. :0

micpru

Do you have the link by any chance for the eBay one you saw? Thanks x
Michaela x

babyshoes

Pity you need to buy 1kg at a go, but no doubt you could re-sell the rest of the pack on here through the classifieds section and make back some of your money.

Also doesn't say how long they are, but probably at least 30cm I'd imagine...

Moira HFG

I wanted to make a few small hole beads, and tried a pack of plain 1mm silver steel rod. from ebay, I think I paid about £5 for half a dozen, about 30cm long.  They work fine. (I daresay they will rust eventually, so stainless steel would be better long-term.)

I'm afraid I can't find the company now, it was a few months ago.

Trudi

Keep in mind that these will bend very easily and you with took much heat they can snap x

Blue Box Studio

The 2.4mm look interesting but I'd need to compare prices.  I can mangle a 1.6mm so easily so anything thinner wouldn't last with me  ::)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Els1

www.berlinbeads.de is where I got mine. Depending on how many you want, they're willing to send it at lower shipping costs, just ask them.

micpru

thanks everyone - will look for stainless steel x
Michaela x

Pat from Canvey

I bought some 1mm stainless steel mandrels from a fishing supply company ages ago. Don't know what they are used for in fishing but have made some small beads with them. They came as 30x 200mm rods, 1mm wide and silly money too. Finally found the invoice, item no. 150773967411  called Stainless Steel Pole Float Stems, price for 50 was £3.00 plus postage and packing of £1.20 The purchase was from The Float Company on Ebay.

booboo

Hi Michaela,

Only just seen this post..... ::)

I have recently ordered some welding rods suitable for lampworking...1mm in diameter.

Just pm me if you are interested...

Carolyn
Carolyn

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

We got some by accident which I have been using as inclusions. I'm sure we have some left  ;)