Would this work?

Started by Niki Gough, April 21, 2013, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki Gough

Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

marijane

From the description it looks like it does not have the type of programmable controller that enables you to set the speed it warms at. If I have miss understood, or if the default speed is okay you may be fine. It's a useful size.

GaysieMay

It does say it has a digital controller in the spec box - might be worth asking the seller how many segments you can set in one program and then checking to see if that would be ok for bead annealling/garaging. To be honest though if I were spending this much I'd consider waiting and going for a kiln with a bead door - batch annealling is ok for small beads but you may find you start to lose a lot of bigger beads before you get that far!  :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

GaysieMay

Was going to say - people on here will batch anneal for you for the time being.  There is a thread somewhere I know I'm on the list who offer the service.  ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Niki Gough

The lovely Margram has batch annealed a set for me and has said she is happy doing some for me which is so kind of her. I am just impatient and as most of my beads are made to put into jewellery I like the idea of being able to have the finished item made in a relatively short period of time.

Trouble is the cheapest kilns with beads doors I can find are around £500 and it would take me an age to save up the money for this sort of kiln let alone a £500 kiln :( Maybe I just need to be patient and keep buying a lottery ticket ;)

Thanks a lot for your help and advice x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Steampunkglass

I suspect it's one you can just set a temperature, there won't be any control over the speed it ramps up and cools down so you might end up with it cooling too fast. Not really a problem with PMC but glass needs more control. It's a lot for a very small kiln that will need you to manually tweek the temperature whilst it's running. I did have a very small kiln like this which I bought cheap with the same idea in mind, although the controller is better on this one, I regretted getting it very quickly. For the occasional beading this would be ok, but if you want to get more use out of it I'd say thats £230 that could go towards a good second hand one

helbels

Yep, as the others have said, when it comes to kilns, there is no cost cutting to be had I'm afraid.  The controller is actually more expensive than the kiln itself.   You need a proper annealing kiln for glass, and they don't come cheap.  Start saving your pennies and in the meantime keep looking at the Classified section on here.  Second hand kilns do come up for sale from time to time.

Niki Gough

Thanks all, I will do that then. It is so nice to have so many replies, I really appreciate it as otherwise I would have just made a very costly decision that I may have regretted very quickly x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Lee - Kilncare

Firstly that does appear to be a single segment control so annealing would be very difficult indeed.
Secondly, I would have to be shown proof to believe that was made in the U.K.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Margram

I am more than happy to continue to anneal your beads while you save up, Niki! It's no problem at all  :)

Marg xx
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Barnacle Bay

I too looked at that one months ago and decided not to buy as the build quality doesn't look that good.

I have a nice little 2nd hand muffle kiln (Uhlig) and I can get quite a few beads in it and it serves my purpose.

Don't rush something will come up.

Lou.

Niki Gough

Thank you all and special thanks to you Marg for annealing my beads while I save, it is lovely to come and see you x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts