Patination

Started by ralphus, October 23, 2007, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphus

Does anyone know any patination recipes that don't involve scary chemicals?

I've found a couple on the internet which turns metal a greenish colour - one with ammonia, white vinegar and salt and another with urine  :o.  Apparently you can get other colours using general household stuff but I can't seem to find them.

As always, any help much appreciated.
Becky

beads-on-toast

hard boiled egg in a sandwich bag

sparrow

If you've got a few bob to spare, I can thoroughly recommend Jinks McGrath's Jeweller's Guide to Decorative Finishes - it covers hammering, rolling, etc., but also lots of patination for various metals - I seem to recall tobacco featuring heavily. But I'd still invest in liver of sulphur if you want to patinate silver - it really isn't difficult to handle (grind up, add warm water, dunk), and the colours are stunning - well worth the effort (and the smell!!!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellers-Directory-Decorative-Finishes-Enamelling/dp/0713670932
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

LittleHen

Quote from: ralphus on October 23, 2007, 11:14:51 PM

I think you'll find that all patination involves chemical.  They are only scary if you don't handle them according to the instructions!!
Just give it a go with LOS and wear gloves and a nose peg  :D

ralphus

Quote from: sparrow on October 24, 2007, 11:00:06 AM
If you've got a few bob to spare, I can thoroughly recommend Jinks McGrath's Jeweller's Guide to Decorative Finishes - it covers hammering, rolling, etc., but also lots of patination for various metals - I seem to recall tobacco featuring heavily. But I'd still invest in liver of sulphur if you want to patinate silver - it really isn't difficult to handle (grind up, add warm water, dunk), and the colours are stunning - well worth the effort (and the smell!!!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellers-Directory-Decorative-Finishes-Enamelling/dp/0713670932

Thanks Sabine and Mari.  I actually have this book on loan from the library and had forgotten all about it.  Actually looked at it properly tonight and I might have to buy it!

What colour does liver of sulphur produce?
Becky

ralphus

Quote from: beads-on-toast on October 23, 2007, 11:30:13 PM
hard boiled egg in a sandwich bag

Thanks Anna.  I'm assuming that you have to shell the egg and mash it up a bit.  How long do you leave the metal (copper at the moment) in for or is it a matter of experimenting?
Becky

ralphus

Quote from: LittleHen on October 24, 2007, 02:51:17 PM
Quote from: ralphus on October 23, 2007, 11:14:51 PM

I think you'll find that all patination involves chemical.  They are only scary if you don't handle them according to the instructions!!

Thanks Jessie.  I also don't know where to get scary chemicals from and I'm likely to damage something!!

Will invest in a nose peg  ;)
Becky

sparrow

LOS does all kinds of colours, depending how long you leave it before you take it out and rinse it - you can either dunk the silver in or paint the LOS on....in order, I think it goes straw/gold first, then red, then...errr.....green, then bluey/purple and finally black. The attached pictures aren't great, but this was LOS painted on in various layers and rinsed every time I had the colour I wanted - the earrings go darker the further inside you go...might have to do this in two messages...let's see...
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

sparrow

Yup...sorry...still not great with attachments!
Sabine x

ralphus

Lovely pieces Chrystal and Sabine.  Thanks for showing them. 

George, thanks for the link.  I'm a shiny shiny shiny person too but I'm being forced to experiment in my classes!
Becky