Silver Glass - not bad but not great .. what happened

Started by Rascal, March 15, 2013, 09:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

Hi, PrincessPeggy's Silver Tutorial has given me confidence to have a go at some DH glass that i was given for Christmas. I had some Kalypso so wrapped it over white, then orange then attempted striking and reducing. Initially I was really pleased when I opened the kiln (apart from the shape) as some colour has come out but the more I look the more disappointed I am as the colours are really pale. How go I get the deeper colours, is it more striking/reducing, less striking/reducing or something else? The colours look deeper in the photo than they are in reality. I'd appreciate any help or ideas before I waste too much glass. Thank you. Karen

First Go at Silver Glas by Karens Beads, on Flickr

Shirley

I would say you've reduced it a bit too strongly, or possibly got it too hot when you've melted in your encasing. Make sure you apply the silver glass with a neutral or oxygen-heavy flame, and then when you melt your clear for the encasing try to melt just the clear and not the glass beneath it.

I don't use orange with Kalypso. I find I can get good maroony shades with it just over white or opal yellow and then encased in clear. I use orange with Clio for bright pinks.

I don't think you're too far off getting good results. That silvery blue is very pretty anyway.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

helbels

I agree, I think you've over reduced it.  I find that both Clio and Kalypso need hardly any reduction to get nice colours.

If it helps there's a great thread on Kalypso here: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25327.0

Rascal

Thanks both, off for more playing today and more reading on older threads. Keep your fingers crossed.

GaysieMay

Also be sure to cover any orange with clear before adding your silver glass, If you don't you get a black reaction when the silver glass is directly on the orange. 
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

helbels

Lotti

I find that I am rather prone to over reducing!  The DH glasses like Psyche and Triton don't mind heavy reducing and they give some lovely blues, greens and even purples.   Although I am getting better with clio (haven't had an kalypso for a while) it does take time and the good old PPP with these glasses that like less reduction.  Actually I rather like your bead. :)

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

You have got some pretty colours in that bead Rascal, but not ones usually associated with Kalypso!  I don't cover Kalypso in the tutorial, but it needs to be treated like Clio, and Gay is spot on about covering the orange glass first, it's the orange that is causing it to go blue.  If you use it over just clear you will get some pink with blue or green opalescence, and over orange or red (well encased) you will get darker pinks or reds.  I must say it's not my favourite DH glass, and never has behaved all that well for me.
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

Rascal

Thanks all, I wanted to try Clio or Triton but thought as I hadn't tried the ones I was given by Santa I'd try Kalypso using some of the other techniques mentioned with other glass naively thinking I'd get similar results ( everyone can stop laughing now) before asking for more glass but the great news is after your replies I'm buying some Clio and Triton but I've promised hubby that its not wasted money as I won't give up on the Kalypso. Any excuse to buy more glass  ;D. Thanks for all the tips. Will post more progress photos next week after a weekend of play.

james M knox

Quote from: Rascal on March 16, 2013, 11:28:40 AM
Thanks all, I wanted to try Clio or Triton but thought as I hadn't tried the ones I was given by Santa I'd try Kalypso using some of the other techniques mentioned with other glass naively thinking I'd get similar results ( everyone can stop laughing now) before asking for more glass but the great news is after your replies I'm buying some Clio and Triton but I've promised hubby that its not wasted money as I won't give up on the Kalypso. Any excuse to buy more glass  ;D. Thanks for all the tips. Will post more progress photos next week after a weekend of play.

Since when has learning been a waste of money  ??? , just buy a single rod and give it a try....

James

mel

If you showed your bead to a non beady-maker, they would just love it-without question-and probably wonder how you got the delicate mother of pearl look to the glass. So although you haven't made exactly what you intended, it's still really lovely.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads