Main Menu

Advice pease

Started by Edi (Edith), March 06, 2013, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edi (Edith)

While I have been waiting to go into the bolthole I have been making some bracelets. I have the desire to make myself a Toggle clasp in copper. But I am unsure of the size of copper sheet and wire to buy. Pease could anyone advise me.
I am finding the weather has affected my joints badly this winter so the bolthole is much to cold to work in although we did have one good day and I managed to vacate the spiders.

Edi
Nana to 5 beautiful girls

flame n fuse

hope it warms up for you soon Edie! Painful joints are no fun.

Edi (Edith)

I hope the weather warms up soon I have been treating myself and the family have treated me to more glass of various types over the last few weeks.
I have looked on wire.co.uk and I dont know which copper wire to buy, do I buy solderable enameled copper wire or bare copper wire? My knowledge on these things isnt very good.
And do you know where I could buy a reasonable priced tumbler + shot and ? soap.

I have ordered some 0.7 copper sheet from cookson god.
This is going to turn out to be expensive I believe. But hey ho here we go.
Edi

Shirley

I bought a load of copper wire from a local hardware shop last week. Cheap as could be.

Cooksons do a package of tumbler, shot and soap that works out cheaper than buying them separately. Got my eyes on one myself.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Nicknack

There's one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230935398375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649  Very cheap at the moment (£5.50), but 6 days to go.  It includes steel shot and soap.

Nick

mizgeorge

Sorry to come in late, but you want bare copper wire Edi.

I may be wrong, but the best deal for tumblers is usually from Palmer Metals - with the bonus that they are Lortone tumblers, which I'd always happily recommend.

That's a good find on ebay though...

the lady with the lamp

Hi,i bought the copper wire samples pack from wires.co.uk ,you get about 43 meters of differant gauged wire for £9 with postage,thats not bad for a starter pack,Parin.

Edi (Edith)

Thanks everyone I have seen the wire.co.uk site and I have ordered some wire, I ordered a piece of copper sheet from cooksongold and I have been ooking at their tumblers and now to look at Palmer metals.
Edi

Glyn Burton

Living as I do on a small rock in the sea most things have to be brought in but a good source of copper wire is electrical cable. You can buy spools of earth cable from B&Q and just strip off the plastic covering. Even better is if you know an electrician who can give you off cuts, the flat twin and earth used for ring mains or the stuff for cookers is perfect.

Edi (Edith)

I am very happy this evening I have just bought a tumbler and it is a Lortone with shot and soap so thank you Nick(Nicknack) for telling me about the one on flebay.

Edi

Nicknack

Quote from: Edi (Edith) on March 13, 2013, 08:57:26 PM
I am very happy this evening I have just bought a tumbler and it is a Lortone with shot and soap so thank you Nick(Nicknack) for telling me about the one on flebay.

Edi

You're very welcome, Edi.  I hope you get a lot of use and enjoyment out of it.. I must dig out my old tumbler I had for stones in the 70s, and see if it still works.

Nick

Edi (Edith)

I have bought myself some copper wire and then thought my wire cutters say only to cut upto 1mm so what am I to look for please this wire is 2mm. Plus i found out that hubby has a full reel of electric wire containing 2mm and 1mm now am almost happy easter bunny.
Edi

Glyn Burton

Hi Edi
Copper is a soft metal your wire cutters should cope with no problem.

Edi (Edith)

Thank you Glynn no problem then.
Edi