Main Menu

Cutting boro tube

Started by Red Dragon, February 21, 2013, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Dragon

What does everyone use for cutting boro tube?
I have seen on you tube someone scoring tube with a carbide knife?? I cannot seem to find one in the UK
Does anyone know where I can get one?

Bob

Steampunkglass

I did find one of the scientfic supply companies sold them but they were really expensive (I can't remember who now, sorry  :-[ ), ended up getting mine from usa instead  :-\ However I did read about someone who uses old metalwork milling bits that are broken as they are made of carbide steel too, and metalwork companies just throw them away if they break, so that might be worth investigating  ;)

garishglobes

I got mine from the US as well. I also have a piece of carborundum stone with a sharp edge that will do the job. I have to say that I don't like scoring tube and usually just melt it anyway - laziness plus the need for a melted end to punty to in order to pull points!

Red Dragon

Thanks all will investigate further......  Just remembered I have some old tung carbide  router bits???????

Bob

Hamilton Taylor

B&Q do a cheap tile cutter with a tungsten carbide bit - only a couple of quid. you can rest the tube in the v between the bit and the handle, thumb on other side, and twist. Break as usual. they last a while, and can be re-ground, but it's easier to buy a couple, then when you've killed one, remember to get another when you're in b&q...  :-)

Ian Pearson

If we get a lathe going at Flame Off then hopefully some large diameter boro cutting will be demoed.

Ian

Red Dragon

Bob